+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LPSU

I'm Richard.

Default LPSU

Hi
    I bought a dorado mk1 and want an lpsu

Is this from Swagman ok?

http://www.swagmanlab.com/Product_PSU?product_id=604

Or a Topping P50 outputs 15v but I’m not sure what polarity the Dorado requires...anyone comment?

I'm Greg.

Hi there,
    apart from the fact that the product looks well made.I don't think you can really take advantage of it, which Beresford device would it be intended for?
    Alone with the Dorado you get a very good result, which is also confirmed by the users here and Stan himself. But I doubt whether another Psu power supply is really an advantage, since the Dorado is completely different from what you could get in the usual market nevertheless what the others will say from the community.

I'm Alastair.

I had long thought the Dorado would be immune to the PSU being used but, after Stan's recent announcement about his Dorado II not needing a fancy PSU, I hooked-up my Dorado I to a 16V battery I already had and got quite a large improvement in the sound. This suggests the Dorado I would indeed benefit from a better PSU, but depending on its price, you might want to try a Dorado II instead of buying a dedicated LPSU.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Greg.

Hi there,
    yes he has announced what concerns the Dorado 2, only the Dorado 2 is only designed for 15 volts if I understand that correctly, or it only goes to 15v and you connect the source to a maximum of 15 volts and would be variable? As an example, if I connect a power supply unit up to 12 volts with 1.5 amps to the Dorado 2, that works?
    Stan wrote in a post where I once read that I think in the Dorado psu threath that an overpriced one does not deliver better. If I would plug the Dorado into a Keces p3 power supply, I shouldn't expect miracles. The electricity will not be even cleaner.I think the concept of what the Dorado pursues is to bring more rest in it is certainly better than nothing. Take a look elsewhere here a lot was discussed and partly very well explained by Stan himself does not like to repeat because the same questions come up again and again. A Faq would certainly be great in terms of respect.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...551-Dorado-psu

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    I had long thought the Dorado would be immune to the PSU being used but, after Stan's recent announcement about his Dorado II not needing a fancy PSU, I hooked-up my Dorado I to a 16V battery I already had and got quite a large improvement in the sound. This suggests the Dorado I would indeed benefit from a better PSU, but depending on its price, you might want to try a Dorado II instead of buying a dedicated LPSU.
    Why didn’t I think of that?

“One enhancement is that there is an inductive filter in DC patch to reduce any mains borne HF and RF frequencies. That means that except for the SEG, or headphone use with the other DACs, you can get away with using the original 12V or 15V SMPS that I have sold my DACs with over the years.

So I can buy the Dorado two with supplied smps and not buy a linear psu

I'm Alastair.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleeh View Post
    Hi there,
    yes he has announced what concerns the Dorado 2, only the Dorado 2 is only designed for 15 volts if I understand that correctly, or it only goes to 15v and you connect the source to a maximum of 15 volts and would be variable? As an example, if I connect a power supply unit up to 12 volts with 1.5 amps to the Dorado 2, that works?
    Stan wrote in a post where I once read that I think in the Dorado psu threath that an overpriced one does not deliver better. If I would plug the Dorado into a Keces p3 power supply, I shouldn't expect miracles. The electricity will not be even cleaner.I think the concept of what the Dorado pursues is to bring more rest in it is certainly better than nothing. Take a look elsewhere here a lot was discussed and partly very well explained by Stan himself does not like to repeat because the same questions come up again and again. A Faq would certainly be great in terms of respect.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...551-Dorado-psu
    The Dorado mk1 will take up to 18V (hence my use of the 16V battery) but you need at least a 15V supply to use the 15V output. It will not convert 12V to 15V, for example. Since they are based on capacitors, the Dorado mk2 might work at 12V if charged with at 12V supply but you would have to check with Stan before using it. Also, the Dorado's are designed for his DACs which have a very low current rating, so I don't know what current it could deliver. Again, a question for Stan if you are interested.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

+ Reply to Thread