+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New toys to play with

I'm colin.

Default New toys to play with

Been buying on e bay again. Tonight ive cleaned a few Lps with my new Okki nokki and im using a record clamp, both arriving this morning.
    The record weight is all the way from the Ukraine , an optional extra for the Musical Fidelity M1 , it looks like a Michel clamp but weighs 350gm and is made of Berylium copper.
    Listening to Neil Young Zuma that sounded pretty rough , crackly and dull,sounding pretty sublime now. Thanks to Chris for kindly showing me what a clean lp sounds like. Dead chuffed

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Been buying on e bay again. Tonight ive cleaned a few Lps with my new Okki nokki and im using a record clamp, both arriving this morning.
    The record weight is all the way from the Ukraine , an optional extra for the Musical Fidelity M1 , it looks like a Michel clamp but weighs 350gm and is made of Berylium copper.
    Listening to Neil Young Zuma that sounded pretty rough , crackly and dull,sounding pretty sublime now. Thanks to Chris for kindly showing me what a clean lp sounds like. Dead chuffed
    I bought a Spin Clean record cleaner, a basic affair where you manually rotate the record in a bath of cleaning solution with a pair of velvet covered pads which scrub the grooves. Rinse off and dry. It makes an amazing difference to the quietness and sound.

http://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com/

One day I will buy an automatic one like the Okki Nokki.

I also use Magic Eraser to regularly clean my stylus's, it makes a huge difference as well. You just have to be careful just to lower the stylus into it using the cueing device, as it is easy to damage the cantilever.
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

I'm colin.

I like the magic eraser tip. Shame woolworths is gone, they used to sell them.

I'm ChrisB.

Great stuff Colin, I'm glad you feel the RCM was a worthwhile expense. I'm sure you won't regret it.
    I don't know how many records you have, but I'm still slowly working my way through all of mine after years of owning a machine.
    Did you get some sort of fluid with the Okki Nokki & what type of brushes come with them?

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    I like the magic eraser tip. Shame woolworths is gone, they used to sell them.
    There are other brands - I got mine at Wilkinsons but I'm afraid I can't remember what it was called. If you try it, please take great care. For another tip for stylus cleaning on a budget, you need to try the 'Sticky Hands'
    That'll save you about £30!

I'm colin.

The dealer kindly supplied me with a Okki velvet thingy and fluid but i already had non alcohol Mint cleaner from the chinese guy who i bought my protractor of. It is amazing the difference its made even on new LPs . Im going to be living on baked beans for a month but its worth it. I dont know if its worth getting a goats hair brush or not. Im applying the first coat with a little clean foam paint roller and it seems to work.

+ Reply to Thread