+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer related advice needed

I'm Dave.

If you want or need a really high data rate system then there's probably no alternative to cable, but that might mean drilling holes in walls etc. For lower data rates some of the mains distribution systems are quite good - usually HomePlug at 85 Mbps or the AV versions as 200 Mbps. They are pretty much plug and play, though if you want to play around with configuration you can. You'll still probably need a short ethernet cable at each to link your kit in.

I have several Zyxel units connected together, and they've been working for a few years now. I hear that some others also work OK, though there may be some to avoid. Actually I connected two routers together as they were on a cheap offer. This works but configuration is slightly tricky initially, as you have to fool one of the routers that the other one isn't there so you can set the parameters, but it can be done, even though the suppliers don't recommend it particularly. One router has to be set up as a bridge. Some routers complain a bit if they're not connected to a DSL line. Once I got it working I linked in another router with an additional Zyxel extension plug.

Might be worth checking out, though cable is cheaper if you don't mind doing the wiring.
    Dave

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    If you want or need a really high data rate system then there's probably no alternative to cable, but that might mean drilling holes in walls etc. For lower data rates some of the mains distribution systems are quite good - usually HomePlug at 85 Mbps or the AV versions as 200 Mbps. They are pretty much plug and play, though if you want to play around with configuration you can. You'll still probably need a short ethernet cable at each to link your kit in.

I have several Zyxel units connected together, and they've been working for a few years now. I hear that some others also work OK, though there may be some to avoid. Actually I connected two routers together as they were on a cheap offer. This works but configuration is slightly tricky initially, as you have to fool one of the routers that the other one isn't there so you can set the parameters, but it can be done, even though the suppliers don't recommend it particularly. One router has to be set up as a bridge. Some routers complain a bit if they're not connected to a DSL line. Once I got it working I linked in another router with an additional Zyxel extension plug.

Might be worth checking out, though cable is cheaper if you don't mind doing the wiring.
    I can drill a hole in the plaster work cornice just above where the main computer is and feed a cable up to the room above where the other PC is I think a 10m cable is all I need to connect them.

I don't want to add anything to the mains Enough crap in there all ready but data transfer etc is a scary thing to my mind.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I have two concerns.
    The D-Link does not act as a DHCP server, and does not have a firewall.
    As far as I know Virgin do not provide either over their WAN service.
    You'd need to find out from Virgin whether or not this is the case.

I have friends who use cable - I'll ask them and report back.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I have two concerns.
    The D-Link does not act as a DHCP server, and does not have a firewall.
    As far as I know Virgin do not provide either over their WAN service.
    You'd need to find out from Virgin whether or not this is the case.

I have friends who use cable - I'll ask them and report back.
    Thanks Chris

I appreciate your help and Dimitri's in this matter

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Hi Neal,

If you subscribe to virgin broadband now they supply a router free of charge!

If you ring virgin & tell them you need a router they should supply you one as an existing customer free of charge. You may have to be firm with them though!

Check the Virgin page http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html.../wireless.html

The router they sent me is a D-Link DIR-615 not sure how good it is, but is working fine for me! Here's a link, someone with more knowledge will be able to tell you if it's good enough for your needs.
    http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?...GB%2FDLWrapper

There's probably better routers but not for free! See how you go mate!

Cheers, alfie.
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm Neil.

Hi Alfie

Thank you.

However I don't subscribe to the higher speed (just basic), you have to (thought it might have changed but seems not), to get them for free and I don't want a wireless router anyway.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Hi Neil,

I believe they're free with the 10mb package which I thought was the entry level package now!

It's got 4 wired connections aswell as wireless so should work as you want it to

http://www.freshdeal.com/_oddity_ima...860e377d53.jpg
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie2902 View Post
    Hi Neil,

I believe they're free with the 10mb package which I thought was the entry level package now!

It's got 4 wired connections aswell as wireless so should work as you want it to

http://www.freshdeal.com/_oddity_ima...860e377d53.jpg

Okay I will check that out.

Thank you D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Cheers Alfie

That kit is ideal.

Neil

Had an ask, Virgin do not directly host multiple devices on one of their WAN links - you require a local router to support multiple devices/users.
    You may well need to inform Virgin of the mac address of the router, so they can enable it on the WAN.
    Virgin also do not provide a firewall for their WAN users - the kit Alfie linked to has all that you'd need.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Cheers Alfie

That kit is ideal.

Neil

Had an ask, Virgin do not directly host multiple devices on one of their WAN links - you require a local router to support multiple devices/users.
    You may well need to inform Virgin of the mac address of the router, so they can enable it on the WAN.
    Virgin also do not provide a firewall for their WAN users - the kit Alfie linked to has all that you'd need.
    Thank you

I will let you all know how I get on.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast