+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toslink Question

Default Toslink Question

Hi all,
    Been lurking for a while and have now signed up. I am looking to use my current iMac with or without airport express with a view to getting a macbook soon. This will be fed into a DAC then my Nait 2. Going to replace the CD3.5/Hicap.

My question; is a mini toslink the same as a 3.5mm jack? There are many adaptors for toslink to 3.5mm jack but there are also toslink to mini toslink cables which i assume would be a better option. I can use this from the AE or direct from the iMac.

Also what other suggestion would you have for hardwiring the iMac/MacBook, is there any limits to cable length?

DAC is likely to be a Lavry DA10.

Thanks
    D

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hello D - you've done very well to escape the First Post S.W.A.T. team for 2.5 hours...! I'm sure you are (as I type) constructing an introductory post telling us all about your system, music tastes and real name and where you are from

I have no experience of mini toslink, but my understanding is that they share the same hole as 3.5mm jack (oohh err missus) in some applications - though mini toslink is still an optical fibre, not a direct electrical connection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousD View Post
    is a mini toslink the same as a 3.5mm jack? There are many adaptors for toslink to 3.5mm jack but there are also toslink to mini toslink cables which i assume would be a better option. I can use this from the AE or direct from the iMac.
    D
    That's exactly right. The 3.5 jack is also a fiber optic output. The iMac and the airpot express have the same jack.

You would need a cable like this;

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Keep in mind that the airport express is limited to 16/44 whereas the jack inside your iMac can push out 24/96 native.

CD
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Hello D - you've done very well to escape the First Post S.W.A.T. team for 2.5 hours...! I'm sure you are (as I type) constructing an introductory post telling us all about your system, music tastes and real name and where you are from

I have no experience of mini toslink, but my understanding is that they share the same hole as 3.5mm jack (oohh err missus) in some applications - though mini toslink is still an optical fibre, not a direct electrical connection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK
    I was busy Alex

Hi FuriousD welcome to AOS, can you pop into the welcome section of the forum and say hello there. Just have a look at some of the other posts to see what's required.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm andrew.

I suggest you get a Hiface to connect your Mac to your chosen dac via a decent coax cable, I find this method gives better SQ than using the optical out on a Mac, forget the Express unless you really do need streaming
    If you are going to use the optical out there are mini toslink to toslink cables available from Chord etc , I have the Chord one but the Hiface>Macbook>coax beats it.
    Your choice of Dac is a good one by the way.

The adapter that you are after is described on my site HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    I suggest you get a Hiface to connect your Mac to your chosen dac via a decent coax cable, I find this method gives better SQ than using the optical out on a Mac, forget the Express unless you really do need streaming
    If you are going to use the optical out there are mini toslink to toslink cables available from Chord etc , I have the Chord one but the Hiface>Macbook>coax beats it.
    Your choice of Dac is a good one by the way.
    I would love to add this to my setup but;

1. My old mac is USB1.1 (of course I can buy a USB 2.0 card)
    2. The mac is at least 100 feet, several rooms away from my stereo, and I would very much like to keep it that way

CD
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

+ Reply to Thread