+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Micro-Seiki CDM-2 - partial dissection

I'm Nobody.

I'm lost here dave whats happened?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Looks like there was a resistor originally?

I'm Nobody.

Ah right so this is a Micro Seiki addition to the CD94 board!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Yes. This basic DAC/Supply board is generic to several machines, the CD94 being the most well known. Micro Seiki fitted fancy caps, cit an earth path on the board and re-routed it, separating further the power supply ground from the DAC-signal ground. This one is another Micro Seiki mod, and because of this, it seems to be uncatalogued. When I touched the cable, it basically came away, leaving a wire "tail" on the leg of the transistor it seemed to connect to. The tarry mess just crumbled, leaving no record of what was there.

I'm baffled...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I found the heart of the crumbled chunk and on carefully scratching the gunk away, it looks to be a PNP transistor - an A1175 (2SA1175?). I've located some on ebay's "Little Diode" and will order a couple. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the thing round the right way.....

I'm David.

Many thanks for posting these pictures of your beautful CD-M2 - I always wondered about how much was from the CD94. I have a CD94II sitting on my coffee table at present. I could organise a few photos, if there are any common elements that you're interested between it and the mkI. Also check out this expired ebay posting here that has a few nice inside shots

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARANTZ-CD94-M...-/330415951343

Hope this helps

TD

I'm David.

Many thanks for the link. That bloody gunk is round the supply caps of the 94 as well!!!!!

The two large supply caps on mine are 6800uF Elna HiFi ones, but I can't seem to find a modern Elna equivalent as and when I choose to replace them. No bulges so I hope they're still ok.

Sadly, noone takes the bottom off to show the underside of the boards which is where my problem lies. I've downloaded a scan of the CD94 service manual, but it wasn't a good one, sadly.

I'd appreciate a few pics of the CD94Mk2 for comparison, although mine has the single TDA 1541 chip. I know the CD-M100 lacked the copper screening cans, but had copper strips glued to the tops of some of the IC's (can't remember if it had the twin DAC chips).

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Any good low ESR cap will do to replace them Dave.Given the age of the player,I'd replace them anyway,for peace of mind if nothing else.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Many thanks for the link. That bloody gunk is round the supply caps of the 94 as well!!!!!

6800uF Elna HiFi ones, but I can't seem to find a modern Elna equivalent

Nichicon KG

I'm David.

Thanks Ali & Andr'e

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast