+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Micro-Seiki CDM-2 - partial dissection

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Default Micro-Seiki CDM-2 - partial dissection

I've been living with an occasional "cracking" sound from my CD player and I finally lost it when the drawer decided to go slow and squeal.

Removing the thing from the cupboard is a royal pita, as this machine is so darned HEAVY - far more than I remember the CD94 donor machine being.

First, a pic of the Sicomin platform-

For some reason, adding this thing made the same difference as adding the Trichord Clock 2 (more of this later) - I had two of these machines to compare..

Here's the machine "on the bench" - well, a rickety Dunhelm Mill TV table

First to remove the solid rosewood end cheeks-

Then the heavy milled top which was re-sprayed by Target Audio-

This is the inside - copper city..

The DAC board is mounted on the side and the Trichord clock is neatly fitted next to it. I removed the rear copper "lid" and this shows the added balanced output board Micro Seiki added, together with the HiFi grade Elna caps..

I think the basic supply board is Marantz, but there's much changed I think. I have a couple more shots of the mech and elaborate "drive-cord" drawer mech and I'll post them tomorrow. For now, the bigger drawer belt is too badly stretched and will have to be replaced.

Something else, there seems like a waxy substance around all the supply caps. I don't think it's leaking caps, as even a couple of small ones have this. I still think the two Elna "HiFi" grade ones may need replacement, but I'm too much of a coward to try to delve any deeper. perhaps the thick MDF/Rosewood bottom could be removed to gain access, I don't know at present. The engineer I'd trust with my life and who had another of these packed it in several years ago and is probably retired now

If it does go to anyone for service, it'll have to be taken as I wouldn't trust a carrier......

Just thought you chaps would like to see another good player from the "Golden Age.."
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ILOB.

Looks a nice bit of kit Dave
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nobody.

Nice Dave

I'm Neil.

Hi Dave

Looks very nice.

If its like a Marantz CD94 then the entire unit is built into a die cast metal box. Looking at the photos again it is not built into a die cast metal box they must have just used the fascia and used a new construction for the sides and back.

I would offer to open my Marantz up for you to see photos of it but it is going to be very hard to get hold of it, as I would have to move a bookcase of CDs(+bookcase), a pile of tuners and a BAT VK75 power amplifier to get to it.

The CD mechanism is the same as my Marantz but the rest of it is different, no copper shielding in mine as far as I can remember.

Hope you sort it out as it would be a shame to let it go to pasture.

Mark of Audiocom could help I would imagine or maybe even Stan Beresford ?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Hi Dave

Looks very nice.

If its like a Marantz CD94 then the entire unit is built into a die cast metal box.
    The old Mission 7000 Philips jobby was a diecast frame aswell

I'm Steve.

They don't build 'em like they used to. Nearly dropped a CD85 once, could have been very bad for my toes that..
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The old Mission 7000 Philips jobby was a diecast frame aswell
    The first time I took my Marantz CD94mk2 apart was a real shock as every part of the player is built inside this 5mm deep diecast metal box the rear and sides are bolted on to it as is the fascia.

The one area of weakness was the 1mm thick metal base, so I replaced that with a quarter inch brushed aluminium one and wow what a difference that made to the sound. Micro Seiki looked at the bottom of it as well, hence the heavy addition to their version of the player. I also recall a British firm (not Woodside) who had rebuilt the 94 into and even bigger tank of a player by adding to the bottom sides and rear of the player.

When Marantz brought out metal end cheeks I tried at the time to buy some but Marantz had no spares that they could sell to me. I like the wood sides but felt that metal ones might be better, I never got to find out.

Anyone got a dead CD12 or 95?, as the metal end cheeks would fit a 94; hole mountings are in the same place.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    They don't build 'em like they used to. Nearly dropped a CD85 once, could have been very bad for my toes that..
    Nice player that uses the same laser as the 94s Philips CDM1 mineral loaded Generally regarded as the best transport ever made.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Nice player that uses the same laser as the 94s Philips CDM1 mineral loaded Generally regarded as the best transport ever made.

Regards D S D L
    It belonged to shop I was working in at the time. I am sure they would not ahve been happy!
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    It belonged to shop I was working in at the time. I am sure they would not ahve been happy!
    It would probably have survived the drop functionally if not cosmetically but your toes would have been a right off

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast