+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDR life - a study..

I'm Steve.

Default CDR life - a study..

I found this on the BBC website, apologies if it has already been posted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/8711747.stm

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Nobody.

Well i don't believe in crap media anyway.The bare minimum i use is TDK. For me Taiyo Yuden..I don't worry.You use cheap crap no way on earth is it gonna be reliable anyway like with anything else.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

All the more reason to go down the streaming route.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I have ten plus year old CDR's and they're fine...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I have had a concern for a number of years about the safety of out future archives.

We have books, manuscripts and written documents centuries old. Will electronic data be readable as long?

Just think what could be lost to future historians.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    I have had a concern for a number of years about the safety of out future archives.

We have books, manuscripts and written documents centuries old. Will electronic data be readable as long?

I wouldnt worry too much about that.The way the enviroments going we wont be here much longer..

I'm Richard.

Retrieving your old Shakin' Stevens MP3s will be the least of your worries when your fighting for water in a post apocalyptic wasteland
    Rich

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post

According to some studies, up to 98% of all the material ever published is currently out of print. The only way we, as a community, are slowly chipping away at fixing this is by digitizing the out-of-print material. Community based web sites, such as archive.org and wikipedia.org are some of the prime examples that the power of technology gives us.

Electronic storage is dirt cheap now, only to get even cheaper with the passage of time. There are already so many redundant copies of the redundant copies of the desirable content, I wouldn't worry too much about its longevity. The important thing is to hurry and digitize all of our cultural heritage, before all these rotting out-of-print books, magazines, newspaper, LPs, tapes, VHS etc. disintegrate.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Neil.

I have one TDK Gold CDR that I recorded on a Marantz CDR1 (think that's the model number) £4500 and the disc was £20 (CD-W12)trade. You also had to fill in a form as to what you wanted to use the blank disc for. This was back in 1993.

The disc is still fine and still plays A okay

As to cheap discs well I have never used them and always use TDK or similar but I do have a few bought pre-recorded CDs that have rotted.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I have one TDK Gold CDR that I recorded on a Marantz CDR1 (think that's the model number) £4500 and the disc was £20 (CD-W12)trade. You also had to fill in a form as to what you wanted to use the blank disc for. This was back in 1993.

The disc is still fine and still plays A okay

As to cheap discs well I have never used them and always use TDK or similar but I do have a few bought pre-recorded CDs that have rotted.

Regards D S D L
    My goodness - you forget how quickly time goes by, CDR has been around 20 years almost!

Neil, I just have to ask, what - pray tell - did you record, I'm dying to know!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast