+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's that bloomin' Lentek Head Amp Again...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cheers, Clive. I'll bear that in mind

What I find is that transformers and active head-amps both have an intrinsic 'signature' which they impart on music.

Overall I generally prefer transformers, but certain head amps, like the Lentek, have a charm all of their own and offer a different, equally sonically satisfying presentation.

It's nice to have the choice of both!

Nick was also talking about a doing a valve head-amp at some point. He said that he heard one once and it was absolutely stunning!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Clive,
    I suggest you try some resistor rolling on the load impedance switch in the Piccolo. I fitted some same value (470R) Schinkohs to replace PRPs and the difference was amazing with my Troika.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Clive,
    I suggest you try some resistor rolling on the load impedance switch in the Piccolo. I fitted some same value (470R) Schinkohs to replace PRPs and the difference was amazing with my Troika.
    Chris, I'm the resistors will make a difference and improve the sound, I was going to resistors to my comment but either got lazy or decided not to complicate things.... Actually I'm using Deccas/Londons at the moment so I don't use my headamp or SUTs.

The Piccolo does make life easy for anyone using multiple cartridges too, it should be said. Not all at the same time though.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Can I stick me muddy paws in again?

Marco, if loading the Denon with 250 - 470 Ohms makes it brighter, I suspect it's because this latter loading makes the response "flat" as this is one area the 103 excelled at - a pretty neutral response despite the conical stylus tip.

I'm sure that step-up transformers may add something of their own, but thanks to you guys I'm beginning to see the slightly wider view that domestic audio possibly needs that indefinable "something" to enable suspension of disbelief. A fully clinical and "truthful" monitoring system may not always be enjoyable - one reason why I've had some stick elsewhere for supporting Harbeth's monitors, passive or not, as one gets a pretty honest sounding box which can be listened to for hours on end with much enjoyment and no fatigue..

That simple head amp design linked to by Marco *should* be fine, as the circuit is so simple. I can't be a*sed to take the lid off the AVI preamp, but the "good" transistor numbers seem very familiar, as the AVI output stage has those (I think) biased heavily into class A, judging by the heat they give off...

Next up - I've FINALLY drilled the TD125 arm-board and mounted the R200 to it. I'll finally have the TD125 going after eighteen months and this is one springy belt-drive I want to get out of my system
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

P.S. Marco,

The Lentek's sound DOES improve after an hour or two, I've heard this twice now

There's still a quality to the sound I remember from prior to Linn and Naim taking over my (and KJW1's) life back then, but I can't describe it - a certain lack of "intimacy?")

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Smile Some musings on your observations....

Hi Dave,

The Lentek's sound DOES improve after an hour or two, I've heard this twice now...
    Nice one - I thought that I might be imagining things!

There's still a quality to the sound I remember from prior to Linn and Naim taking over my (and KJW1's) life back then, but I can't describe it - a certain lack of "intimacy?")
    Admit it, it's not as bad as you remembered it to be though, is it?

Marco, if loading the Denon with 250 - 470 Ohms makes it brighter, I suspect it's because this latter loading makes the response "flat" as this is one area the 103 excelled at - a pretty neutral response despite the conical stylus tip.
    So are you saying then that loading the 103 at 100 Ohms doesn't result in a flat response?

Mmm... I'm not sure about that, based on what I've heard from that cartridge over many years in many different systems. Also, I can't see Keith Aschenbrenner designing the A23 (which loads the 103 at just a shade over 100 Ohms) not to have a flat frequency response.....

I think it's probably as much to do with system synergy as anything else, and 100 Ohms seems 'right' to my ears over a wide range of different systems, and I'm not alone in that respect.

That simple head amp design linked to by Marco *should* be fine, as the circuit is so simple.
    Well we'll see what Nick can come up with. I'm sure he'll take on board Clive's remarks, as I know he's following this thread with interest.

So have you still got the Lentek in circuit or is the X-10D vying more for your attention tonight?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I'm sure it'll be excellent Marco,like most things Nick makes!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cheers, Clive. I'll bear that in mind

What I find is that transformers and active head-amps both have an intrinsic 'signature' which they impart on music.

Overall I generally prefer transformers, but certain head amps, like the Lentek, have a charm all of their own and offer a different, equally sonically satisfying presentation.

It's nice to have the choice of both!

Nick was also talking about a doing a valve head-amp at some point. He said that he heard one once and it was absolutely stunning!!

Marco.
    I've been meaning to build one for the last five years or so. Have got the parts just need to pull my finger out!

Regards
    Barry

I'm David.

The Lentek is still in circuit and had a pasting earlier today. It treads a very fine line between Hifi and music and I'm still finding it hard to pin down...

Every time I decide to put the X10 into service I have a great headphone session with the Quad 33/D-60 and can't be a*sed to change it over to be honest. I think the X10 as it currently is may well be better - we'll see..

My first fully DIY project - a 12V AC supply as described on Rock-grotto - Simple XP Supply. Cutting out the apatures for the IEC socket and switch were a PITA as I have no skill, but if you don't look too hard it's ok. I just have to finish it off in the morning and await the big bang with interest (my eyes get very tired and I should make more use of my mid-distance specs...).

The next thing is to finally get the TD125 going. I drilled the arm board and found some suitable spacers for underneath so I could get the nut firmly tight (I still have a Rega sized spanner made for me by a grateful client...). It's a bit big to smuggle indoors though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123