+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone still listen to radio (DAB or FM)?

I'm Jim.

I can't receive DAB where I live so I use a Sky>DAC for radio lstening. It is very good too.
    The new Sky HD boxes have two digital outs, optical & co-ax so you have a bit more flexibility. Unfortunately you can't assign one to stereo and the other to DD5.1. It's all or nothing so you have to be careful on switching channels/sources.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I'm Chris.

Although my Rotel tuner is no longer in use, I have a Roberts portable downstairs, a Roberts personal sports radio and a bashed up 40 year old trannie in the bathroom. And listen to BBC Radio 4, 3 and 5 at various times of the day. A switch from FM to DAB spells disaster to me. So I have three devices which will turn into useless junk supposedly in the name of progress.

As to quality, the way the BBC have messed around with rates seems to say it all and doesn't even compete with some Internet radio stations like cesky d-dur.

People here may have the technical savvy to make the most of digital sources, but spare a thought for all those FM radio lovers our there who will become the dispossessed.

P.S. Do vuvuzelas sound any better on DAB?
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisbee View Post
    a bashed up 40 year old trannie in the bathroom.
    don't try googling that for God's sake!

Sorry, I couldn't resit... That did make me laugh!

My biggest worry is my cars, which I have no intention of changing any time soon - in my main car it is integrated with the Sat-Nav system, which will become junk when FM goes unless you buy some sort of additional digital tuner, I suppose, but why should I have to?
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 14-06-2010 at 14:18. Reason: Spelling
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    don't try googling that for God's sake!
    I did out of interest and got "Warton Stock Car Club Homepage"
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I'm colin.

I was mug enough to be taken in by DAB during its frenzied hype and bought a Cambridge audio unit for £200 only to find my Humax freeview box sounds better and thats without a DAC or a decent aerial

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123