+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still listen to radio (DAB or FM)?

I'm Dave.

Default Does anyone still listen to radio (DAB or FM)?

I'm prompted by the recent posts on MP3 compression or similar to ask about radio usage. In the UK DAB radio is at best 192kbps Musicam (MP2), so definitely should not sound as good as 192kbps mp3. We know from the debacle a few years back that listeners definitely didn't like the reduction to 160 kbps (on Radio 3), causing the BBC to revert back to 192 kbps.

Other digital stations unfortunately don't use such high bit rates - the next highest being ClassicFM at 160 kbps Joint Stereo, and after that most are down at 128 kbps or less.

I even hear that some listeners still like FM, and some prefer it to DAB.

In this context maybe MP3s at high bit rates could be preferable to most forms of radio.
    Dave

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I'm prompted by the recent posts on MP3 compression or similar to ask about radio usage. In the UK DAB radio is at best 192kbps Musicam (MP2), so definitely should not sound as good as 192kbps mp3. We know from the debacle a few years back that listeners definitely didn't like the reduction to 160 kbps (on Radio 3), causing the BBC to revert back to 192 kbps.

Other digital stations unfortunately don't use such high bit rates - the next highest being ClassicFM at 160 kbps Joint Stereo, and after that most are down at 128 kbps or less.

In this context maybe MP3s at high bit rates could be preferable to most forms of radio.
    Hi Dave,

We listen to FM radio every day we're at home. And have done so for the last thirty years!

There's absolutely no comparison between the monstrosity called DAB and FM radio.

I shall be listening to FM right up to the proposed switch off!

Regards
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hi Dave,

We listen to FM radio every day we're at home. And have done so for the last thirty years!

There's absolutely no comparison between the monstrosity called DAB and FM radio.

I shall be listening to FM right up to the proposed switch off!

Regards
    +1

DAB is an act of cultural vandalism. If the once proud tradition of BBC engineering think its fit for purpose then how the mighty have fallen....sound quality does not matter any more DAB is shite.....

FM eats DAB. Even a mediocre FM radio sounds better than the best DAB radio I have heard. The best FM radios such as the Leak Trough-line, Revox, Quad, Pioneer, Sony and Sansui radios sound amazing

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm joe.

I listen to FM every day and I'm currently dipping my toe into the brave new world of internet radio. We have a DAB radio too but rarely use it.

I'm ChrisB.

FM for me.
    Internet radio sometimes, but only for a few specific stations at times of extreme busyness or if I fancy some non-stop Zappa. It's for hearing, but never, ever for listening.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes it's just us idiots who, despite the government and BBC's continual 'dumbing-down' of broadcast material and sound quality, still possess the faculty for discernment!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

FM everyday for me. Radio 2 mostly.

I haven't heard DAB through my system, only on a Roberts portable downstairs which I have to have plugged into the mains because for some reason these DAB radios seem to eat batteries. If that sort of excessive power consumption is across the board then there must be some sort of environmental objection to DAB?
    Martin.

Sony XA20ES -> Cambridge Dac Magic -> Quad 99 pre amp -> Quad 909 Power amp -> Mission 753 Freedom. ICs - Cable Talk Broadcast, Speaker Cable - Cable Talk 4.1 Bi wire.

I'm ChrisB.

I did a comparison of 4 or 5 tuners (some were the tuner sections of 70's Japanese receivers) with BBC Radio 3 and 4 on Freeview piped through my Accuphase DAC and the difference was obvious after about 1/2 a second.....maybe less.
    The difference was substantial in every case, & based on that evidence, I won't be dumping my tuners yet.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I did a comparison of 4 or 5 tuners (some were the tuner sections of 70's Japanese receivers) with BBC Radio 3 and 4 on Freeview piped through my Accuphase DAC and the difference was obvious after about 1/2 a second.....maybe less.
    The difference was substantial in every case, & based on that evidence, I won't be dumping my tuners yet.

Very much my findings too, using Sky and Free view feeding the digital signal to a high quality DAC. FM was vastly superior.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Let's face it, chaps, DAB and computer radio are simply yet more examples of convenience over quality in today's largely undiscerning 'disposable' society........

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast