+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pioneer SA-8800/Electrostatic speakers?

I'm Malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by combwork View Post
    Thank you. Just a thought; if the impedance curve at high frequencies dropped dangerously low, could I solve this by using amps high filter? Incidentally, the 'little amp' I was referring to was the NAD..... When I still had the SX-1980, I used its pre-amp section to drive the ESL57s via the NAD's power amp. Worked very well and sounded better than using the NAD on its own. More detail clearly heard, like the bell on the bus in Pink Floyd's "Division Bell".
    I used to own a pair of DM70's and very good they were to.
    I believe that the BBC rated them so much they even used their outpot via microphones for a broadcast once on the radio.
    I would not consider the NAD for these. I used a JE Sugden 25 watt class A power and preamp very smooth and detailed.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Thanks for that answer Combwork. The prices they fetch on ebay are confusing - I've seen all those prices although the £1100 ones were won by a Japanese bidder so who knows if the sale went through.

I remember another auction too where the guy was really into them - had put up a website in dedication. He had done a full rebuild and was asking £600 for continentals. I think they sold outside of ebay as I remember talking to him.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    Thanks for that answer Combwork. The prices they fetch on ebay are confusing - I've seen all those prices although the £1100 ones were won by a Japanese bidder so who knows if the sale went through.

I remember another auction too where the guy was really into them - had put up a website in dedication. He had done a full rebuild and was asking £600 for continentals. I think they sold outside of ebay as I remember talking to him.
    I've seen all those prices although the £1100 ones were won by a Japanese bidder so who knows if the sale went through.

Yes; same seller had a nice pair of ESL57s; he got a good price for these as well. I spoke to him after the sale. As far as I know the sale went through but even if it didn't, you have to remember that for every winning bid there's an under bidder. It was after these made their crazy price that several sets of DM70s came up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12