+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuner Dilema

I'm ChrisB.

I find the tuner site interesting but rather a lot of conflicting opinion. It's great if you need a quick source of hard facts (specs, features, layout etc). I always thought that no matter how many people say a particular model is less than good, all it needs is one positive comment (almost always from someone with a vested interest - ie they own that model and want to justify that ownership) and the other lesser opinions are nullified. The opposite to mud sticking.

I'm Garry.

I also have mixed experience of that website. I was a member of the forums on that website until I got so angry with their very parochial views. I got into a slanging match over Sugden tuners which were described as 'homemade, amateur rubbish' because they could not DX and the tuning scale was not fit for purpose etc.
    Yes compared to the Japanese tuners they lacked a little sophistication but fed with a good signal the sound was often unbeatable on classical music and spoken word. The Sugden R21 and R51 were not designed for the cluttered airwaves of the US. A fact acknowledged by Patrick Miller at Sugden.
    In contrast, when I needed help on one of my favourite tuners the Aiwa 9700, people in the forum were so generous with their time and documented information
    It is a brilliant site for model facts and figures but very blinkered in many other respects.
    Gazza
    "I'm of an age where my back goes out more than I do" - Phyllis Diller

Garry.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by quadsugdenman View Post
    I also have mixed experience of that website. I was a member of the forums on that website until I got so angry with their very parochial views. I got into a slanging match over Sugden tuners which were described as 'homemade, amateur rubbish' because they could not DX and the tuning scale was not fit for purpose etc.
    Yes compared to the Japanese tuners they lacked a little sophistication but fed with a good signal the sound was often unbeatable on classical music and spoken word. The Sugden R21 and R51 were not designed for the cluttered airwaves of the US. A fact acknowledged by Patrick Miller at Sugden.
    In contrast, when I needed help on one of my favourite tuners the Aiwa 9700, people in the forum were so generous with their time and documented information
    It is a brilliant site for model facts and figures but very blinkered in many other respects.
    Gazza
    That's true for all British tuners. They just don't have the selectivity, image rejection or capture ratio that American tuners have, because it's not needed here. Anyway to do the job properly in America, you need to use a highly directional aerial with an aerial rotator.

All I require a tuner to do is pick up Radio 3 and 4, Classic FM and Jazz FM.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Garry.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

All I require a tuner to do is pick up Radio 3 and 4, Classic FM and Jazz FM.
    In a nutshell Barry I think anyone who listens to FM or DAB can pick and choose what they want to listen to and the magic it is, in the main, free!
    Yes sound quality can vary greatly but some broadcasts on Radio 3 /4 can be stunning. I am completely stumped by the attitude of the BBC and the previous Labour administration. Ramming an obviously flawed DAB down our throats whilst threatening to switch off FM. I believe it is all about cost!!!!

Gazza
    "I'm of an age where my back goes out more than I do" - Phyllis Diller

Garry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123