+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Toy System June 2010

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Just shows though what can be had from a mid priced cdp after modding the arse off it

I presume the external psu's was added extra's
    Cheers,
    Leo

Very nice system, Steve ! I hope to be able to listen to it one day !
    You'll be very welcome Dimitri.

Looking good, Steve (since we tidied it up! )

The heavily-modified Eikos CD player Steve's currently borrowing from Anthony is, quite frankly, astonishing and without doubt one of the best CDPs I've ever heard

It is a shining example of what red book CD is capable of when done properly. In the areas where it excels (pin-point timing accuracy, seductive phrasing of vocals, and an almost uncanny sync-locking of temporal shifts within music), amongst many other of its sonic attributes, it is *THE* best I've heard. I could happily live with this player myself.

Steve's system now, in terms of sheer musical communication and emotional involvement, is one of best I've had the pleasure to listen to, and is testament to what can be achieved with serious attention to detail in terms of set-up, and judicious ancillary and equipment selection. Everything synergises together so well to create spine-tingling drama with all genres of music....

Once he gets a decent pair of speakers, it'll be really good!!!

Only kidding - the Hecos are excellent for the money. They offer superb 'bang for your buck' (and are pretty transparent, too), but in the final analysis are somewhat outclassed by the outstanding source and control components upstream. Steve is however fully aware of this.

When he attends to that (almost) final part of the jigsaw, then his system will truly deserve the title of 'AOS Reference'
    Regarding the CD player it is its almost unique ability to sync-lock different strands of music, tying in backing instruments, percussion, especially high-hats and tambourines with the rest that makes it so special. I don't need a side-by-side comparison with a Caiman to know that the Caiman is a good DAC but to compare it with the Eikos would be like comparing Becks Vier with Augustiner.

Some of us can recognise sonic/musical characteristics of components and hold the impression in our heads for more than five minutes.

Some of us can't and these tend to be the most vociferous sceptics....

I'm pleased that the rest of my system isn't letting the side down and I hope that when my DAC is ready, in conjunction with my transport, it will be at least nearly as good.

Regarding my speakers there are still lots of things I'd rather upgrade first like adding Furetech Rhodium plugs to the Mark Grant mains leads. I do really like what my speakers do in this particular room.

I'm Steve.

Looking good Steve!

The MusicWorks ReFlex block does respond well to being raised off the ground as you have found. I have heard it on top of Stillpoints Component stands and MusicWorks ReJig 15mm supports and the extra resonance control is very beneficial.

For the most economical approach, the ReJig supports are well worth it (I have them under my MIT cable boxes and turntable power supply/controller) or if, as in your case, you can spare a shelf on the main equipment stand.
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm pleased that the rest of my system isn't letting the side down and I hope that when my DAC is ready, in conjunction with my transport, it will be at least nearly as good.
    That particular project is now scrapped at least until I'm ready for PC audio. I'm keeping the Eikos. Why? Because it's a giant-slayer.

I just need a buyer for the Bel Canto - one of the finest CD transports around and a decent player in its own right.

I'm Mark.

Your new player does look suitably big and (dare I say) manly. Ok... and it also fits on
    the table so that's all good so far. Now you just need a TT something big I would think.

If I had a turntable it would go on a separate stand. The top shelf of the QS Ref rack has additional decoupling for source components. I would not wish to degrade the performance of this player, which TBH rivals just about every turntable out there.

I don't have many records and what few I have are in a cupboard somewhere at my parents' house.

I'm Nobody.

Whats that under the CDP?

I bet your finding it hard going back to a standard drawer/tray after the Bel Canto..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 09-07-2010 at 08:15.

I'm drunk.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno Commander View Post
    Did I spot a mains lead with a 13A plug on each end?
    O my god all that extra impedance on the mains line caused by a unnessisary set of contacts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast