+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling All Mullard Experts

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hahahahahahaha......
    There's a bit of a clue in the sellers name.....
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    There's a bit of a clue in the sellers name.....
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I didn't even get that far (no need to) - I just looked at the picture of the valve!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    if you want a real good all-rounder, then i would take the CV4004/M8137 [box plate] in most applications.
    their not cheap now but they have a long life [typicaly 10,000 hours] so probably the last ECC83 some of you will ever need!!!
    A...
    I'd agree with Anthony here - those were the best I found for my phono stage, Marco's Telefunken's being a bit too 'Knopfler' compared to the 'Hendrix' of the Mullards!

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Truly the king of ECC83/12AX7s - at a price!
    I've not had all that much experience with tube rolling but the Telefunken tube are fantastic, miles better than the overrated ones people recommend from time to time.

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I've not had all that much experience with tube rolling but the Telefunken tube are fantastic, miles better than the overrated ones people recommend from time to time.
    I think it's horses for courses though Andre! I think it can depend on the amp or whatever it's used in.

I shelled out a pile of £s for a NOS Telefunken ECC801s (12at7/ECC81 varient) after being told it's the dogs b*****ks for my headphone amp. I found it to be quite shrill & not a patch on my favourite 1959 Philips Miniwatt 12at7 or even my reserve Mullard M8162/CV4024. Perhaps in another application the Telefunken ECC801s may well live up to the hype.

As I said earlier an Ecc83 Telefunken 'Smooth Plate' sounds great in my phono stage!
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hi Phillip

Your enquiry gives me the opportunity to remind members of the AoS Library. In this library there is much useful valve data :

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3285.

I cannot speak from experience, as I have only a few items that use valves (three tuners and one reel-reel tape deck), none of which are being used at the moment. All use Mullard brand valves and all the spare valves I have are Mullard NOS. I have not had an opportunity to do any 'tube rolling', though this is a planned activity I intend to try out on one of the tuners.

Two sites which might interest you are:

www.tube-classics.de/indexen.htm

and

www.tubeworld.com.

See how you get on with these sites.

I would add that valve connoisseurs talk about valves in much the same way a wine connoisseur will talk about wine - and all will have their favourites.

Briefly, however, it seems that the Mullard brand ECC83 was made between 1959 -1969, and came in two versions: short plate 14mm and long plate 17mm. The long plate is thought to be better. All Philips brand (including Mullard) ECC83 are of good quality.

Regards
    Barry

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi all,
    barry is right to a point, there are two main diffrences in the plate structure as far as size, they are 15mm and 17mm, but there are also a multitude of other unique diffrences in physical contruction to take into acount, some of which are; copper or steel grid pins, halo or D type getters, diffrent anode/plate coatings etc,etc... MULLARD, BRIMAR, PHILIPS valves were all part of the BVA [british valve association] so for eg; a valve branded as PHILIPS or BRIMAR could infact be a re-branded MULLARD. the type of structure will tell you a lot if you know what to look for! of course date codes go a long way in defining where and when a valve was made.
    hope this helps.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12