+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Cheviot - New Project

I'm Myles.

Default Tannoy Cheviot - New Project

Hi Everyone,
    So I'm new on this forum and new to Tannoy. An opportunity came my way to buy 4 Cheviot's at what seemed like a really good price. However there are issues I need to sort out as you will be able to see below. Anyway, I thought I would share my journey with these with you as I have already had great advice from just saying hello in the Welcome part of the forum. I'm in no great hurry to get these up to scratch (the person I bought them off has had them from new for 46 years! Although he didn't really know how to look after them). When I listened to them I made sure the tweeters were working ok as I was told they are an expensive part to fix and to my ears they seemed fine. Anyway here they are...

I'm Myles.

I'm Myles.

I'll carefully remove all the tape and see what they look like then!

I'm Myles.

Been busy with the kids tonight but thought I would have a look at getting the tape off one of the speakers. It was only blue tacked on and the only difficulty was were it had stuck to the remnants of the foam surround. Very happy with that! Looks to be in pretty good condition to my untrained eyes!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Barry

I'm Myles.

Thanks Barry, I did try and post them but that must be a feature not available to new members.
    The guy I bought them off says he thinks he still has the missing two dust covers and will let me know if he finds them.

I'm Geoff.

Some users prefer them without the gauze dustcap. This does give a tiny bit more clarity. The dustcaps are available I believe.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Myles.

Hi Geoff,
    I think I have a can of compressed air at work, I might blow any spiders out over the weekend.
    You mentioned that you know of a place to buy the foam surrounds from, I think I will order a pair and try my hand. I was up late into the night watching every youtube video I could find about re foaming Tannoys. Any advice you could offer in this area would be like gold to me!
    Cheers

I'm Geoff.

These are the correct items: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153724766...SABEgJgM_D_BwE

The cones have to be removed to do the job. It's impossible to do it properly otherwise.

It's straightforward enough with a little care and patience. Take any 'expert' opinions on youtube or anywhere else with a pinch of salt, I've seen the job done badly quite a few times.

Get the surrounds before removing the cones. You'll need to mark their position on them and the cones in relation to the cut out 'notches' on the surrounds.

And don't decide on PVA glue, there are better options.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Myles.

OK thanks Geoff. I have purchased a pair of those to arrive next Thursday.
    Which glue should I order? I really appreciate your help.
    Last edited by Myles-Mojo; 14-05-2021 at 08:57.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast