+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Players

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Default Portable Players

Are there any Ipod-like devices that will play 24/96 FLAC?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

You're going to struggle with 24/96 files. Just too big for a portable.
    These guys do a flac player http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_w...uct_page_5.php
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Chris.

If roxbox firmware loads onto the digital audio player of your choice, you'll get FLAC but not necessarily at 24/96.

The makers of Little Dot haedphone amps have this device in the pipe line:

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewt...0eeac817e6e096

With an ARM processor and up to 32GD SD I would have thought this has the potential to play 24/96 files. But I don't suppose it will be cheap.
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm David.

Didn't headfi or the other headphone forum come up with something that played flacs ... Not sure if high Rez though... It did look quite cool though I seem to remember that it was modular so bits could be upgraded or something...
    Why do you want portable high rez?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No particular reason.I hadn't seen anything about so wondered if anyone else had.What about car head units then?

I'm David.

I expect naim/bently ones do

although I don't know what head units they use... It would be a bit daft If they went to all that expense but couldn't
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I would be interested in a FLAC compatible car head unit.I'd have thought there would be a potential market there.

I'm Martin.

For a cheap in-car solution, try a Sansa Fuze connected to an auxiliary input on a standard head unit.

The Fuze can be Rockboxed and plays FLAC (but not hi-res) very well indeed. I love mine.

Not a huge choice when it comes to portable FLAC players (I don't know of any that will do 24/96), but my favourite is still the Iriver H120 or H140. Getting on a bit now (and not the smallest), but has optical input and output (oh yes!) and can record direct to WAV or MP3 via line or microphone inputs. One of those beauties into a portable DAC/T-Amp combo would give you one hell of a moveable box of tunes...

Martin
    "Music is the space between the notes"
    Debussy.

"I'd buy me a used car lot and I wouldn't sell any of em
    I'd just drive a different car every day dependin on how I feel"
    Tom Waits

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Cheers Martin I'll have a look

I'm Nick.

My Cowon iAudio X5L with Rockbox plays 24/96 FLAC fine. My old M5L wouldn't, properly - it takes a half-decent processor to handle on-the-fly FLAC decoding. A lot of the old machines that Rockbox loads on to may not be up to the job, so if you're going the Rockbox route (and it's great firmware) be careful about your hardware choice
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast