+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: High resolution digital music

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by steve dixon View Post
    yeah, great, hi rez, but hi rez obscure celtic folk? hi rez wierd and wonderful world music?

why do big companies like linn,naim etc invest a bomb recording the most obscure music they can find? probably artists that have never been out their local village, and it a village for locals, there's nothing for you here, only listened to by a handful at the bar on a friday night.

when they they start putting out POPULAR music i may pay attention, theres a clue in the name isn't there?

steve
    This is the chicken-or-the-egg situation. No one seems interested in investing money into a format that would be hard to sell due to the fact that very few households have the means to play that format back. We've seen the same patterns with CDs, VHS tapes, DVDs, blu rays, etc. There's always this period of incubation, during which both producers and consumers are sitting on the fence. Who flinches first? Consumers are not tripping over themselves rushing to the stores to buy the latest and the greatest hardware if the software is nowhere to be found. At the same time, producers are not going to trip over themselves to produce shiny new software if the hardware is not already deployed.

Then one day, you get up, and learn that the whole world switched from VHS to DVD. Or, from cassette tapes to CDs. How do these things happen? No one knows (god's ways are mysterious).

The same pattern will be repeated with regards to the high resolution music. As of right now, there isn't enough households that can play hi rez format. Consequently, the execs have no incentive to produce it.

One day, we'll wake up and learn that the critical mass has been (somehow) reached, at which point we'll see popular music starting to trickle in on a hi rez format. I don't have a crystal ball with me right now, so I can't tell you when is that day going to arrive.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by steve dixon View Post
    why do big companies like linn,naim etc invest a bomb recording the most obscure music they can find? probably artists that have never been out their local village, and it a village for locals, there's nothing for you here, only listened to by a handful at the bar on a friday night.
    Follow the money. Obscure music recorded professionally and sold ? Struggling artists who will play for publicity ? Oh yeah. Why pay royalties when you can get talent for either nothing or a low session fee ?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

There is a fair amount of mainstream hi rez on hdtracks.lot of obscure stuff too though.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Many thanks Alex - If I do borrow them, it's unlikely you'll get 'em back in a hurry...
    As long as I get them back at some point, not a problem as I have them ripped to my external hard drive anyway. You really are welcome to "have a lend" as my old Granny used to say.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345