+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Impact T-Amp

I'm Martin.

Default Sonic Impact T-Amp

Bought one of these to try with my horns while the valve amps are out of commission.

In spite of the positive reviews, I didn't dare hope for too much from twenty quid's worth of cheap plastic lump.

However....

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor!

I must be imagining it (surely?), but I'm tempted to say that this is one of the best amps I've heard!

Nah, that can't be right....

Can it?

Truly shocking!

Martin
    "Music is the space between the notes"
    Debussy.

"I'd buy me a used car lot and I wouldn't sell any of em
    I'd just drive a different car every day dependin on how I feel"
    Tom Waits

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes these Tripath amps are very good.I have a Hlly T-amp 90,and I've just managed to get hold of the amp Duncan built with the same chip.Should get it next week sometime.The SQ is astonishing for the money.If you want something even better,try the Hlly T-amp 10,which will be plenty powerful enough for the Jericos.Some folk say it's the best sounding of all the Hlly amps.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yes these Tripath amps are very good.I have a Hlly T-amp 90,and I've just managed to get hold of the amp Duncan built with the same chip.Should get it next week sometime.The SQ is astonishing for the money.If you want something even better,try the Hlly T-amp 10,which will be plenty powerful enough for the Jericos.Some folk say it's the best sounding of all the Hlly amps.
    Cheers Ali - it will be a couple of months until my amps are fixed, so I was wondering about getting a better T-Amp (with decent connectors). Ebay is full of them - The Chinese Hlly ones work out about the same price as the Brit built Temple Audio Bantam ones (once you take import duty into account). Is there likely to be much between them?

I'm actually very happy with the bog-standard T-Amp, but a smidge more power wouldn't go amiss, and those crappy speaker clips are horrid.

Cheers

Martin
    Debussy.

Tom Waits

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I don't know about the Bantam,I've read some folk love them,and some think they are crap.I can only speak for the Hlly I have,which uses a different chip to the lower powered ones.I think it's a very good amp for the cash,and it drives my statics really well.I havwe read that the t-amp 10,the lowest powered one,has a sweeter sound than the rest.

I'm David.

horace, i have a bantam t i would happily loan you untill you get back on your feet amp wise
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

... i think its good... im just using an old b&o 1500 instead at that mo
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Be interesting to compare the bantam to the Hlly sometime.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

BTW Martin,have you managed to get the OTL's repaired? I know someone who could do it.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    BTW Martin,have you managed to get the OTL's repaired? I know someone who could do it.
    Not as such. I have spoken to a very nice chap who can rewind the transformer, but he is miles away and can't do it for ages as he's away on hols.

I'll drop you a PM.

Cheers

Martin
    Debussy.

Tom Waits

I'm Martin.

A very long listening session last night.

There is definitely something special about the relationship between my horns and Hamish's Bantam T-Amp. I experienced imaging and transparency that I haven't heard before.

Not a bad result from a £200 pair of speakers, a £50 ancient high-end DVD player and an amp worth £100! My old Linn system cost more than 10 times that and didn't do many things as well.

Jawdropping.

Class-T has been a true revelation to me.

Martin
    Debussy.

Tom Waits

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast