+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: GARRARD 401 - Restoration thread!!

I'm Sandy.

I very much regret selling mine...

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstysdad View Post
    I very much regret selling mine...
    Find a knackered one like me and do it up!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt XIII - Not unlucky for some...

The 401 has been a mainstay of my collection for a good number of years now. Presently I'm having a kick-ass time experimenting with JICO stylii, this time it's the JICO SAS/B N447X stylus and it's a real stunner. I'm using this with my modded Shure M55E cartridge, this in itself will be going through a modification with a new Panzerholz body when it arrives from Germany. The new stylus has had about 5-7 hours usage and is nicely burning in, I'm having loads of fun trying different LP's which I haven't played for years. The 401 really is an amazing deck even though it's shunned by people who want an example of it's older brother the 301. Here's a quick picture of current 401 setup.

And here is a close up of the JICO N447-X SAS/B stylus in the Shure M55E.

I'm still debating getting the SAS/R which would be the ultimate for the little Shure M55E, maybe one day! Stay tuned...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Michael.

According to the Garrard Serial Number Decoder, it was made around June 1974. That makes it a late one.

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Michael, that's something I didn't know about my deck. I'm actually 9 months older than my deck! Talk about revisting your youth.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Michael.

I have had my 401 since around 1970 when I was 20, I will be 74 this September! My 401 is in a Slateage skeletal plinth with a SME V and Denon DL 304.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    The Garrard 401 (39432) Restoration Pt XIII - Not unlucky for some...

The 401 has been a mainstay of my collection for a good number of years now. Presently I'm having a kick-ass time experimenting with JICO stylii, this time it's the JICO SAS/B N447X stylus and it's a real stunner. I'm using this with my modded Shure M55E cartridge, this in itself will be going through a modification with a new Panzerholz body when it arrives from Germany. The new stylus has had about 5-7 hours usage and is nicely burning in, I'm having loads of fun trying different LP's which I haven't played for years. The 401 really is an amazing deck even though it's shunned by people who want an example of it's older brother the 301. Here's a quick picture of current 401 setup.

And here is a close up of the JICO N447-X SAS/B stylus in the Shure M55E.

I'm still debating getting the SAS/R which would be the ultimate for the little Shure M55E, maybe one day! Stay tuned...
    Err what happened to your M55e Andy - is that a special edition!? SHURE would like to hear that combo and seriously considering the JICO N447-X SAS/B.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

That is the M55E! I debodied it years ago after a recognised that the outer casing was massively resonant. I bought the Cocobola wood body from a chap in Germany who's still trading on eBay and will send stuff to the UK. I have had a Panzerholz body especially made for the M55E in a bid to further shield the M55E. The magnesium arm in the SME V-12 removes a lot of resonance getting into the cartridge, but we have a birch ply plinth and a decoupled motor which should also help. The Panzerholz body is just another mod to try and further reduce resonance.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    That is the M55E! I debodied it years ago after a recognised that the outer casing was massively resonant. I bought the Cocobola wood body from a chap in Germany who's still trading on eBay and will send stuff to the UK. I have had a Panzerholz body especially made for the M55E in a bid to further shield the M55E. The magnesium arm in the SME V-12 removes a lot of resonance getting into the cartridge, but we have a birch ply plinth and a decoupled motor which should also help. The Panzerholz body is just another mod to try and further reduce resonance.
    Nice one.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Jim, the chaps called Stanley Engineering Shop on eBay if you ever fancy a punt. He does all sorts of weird and wonderful woods, a tweakers delight.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast