+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Solid Aluminium Platter for the SL1200

Mike_New Guest

Default New Solid Aluminium Platter for the SL1200

Hi Folks,
    Rather than high jack the present thread in which I have posted some details of the new platter, I thought that it would be more appropriate to start another one which caters for those specific people who are interested in the new platter.

I have included an image of what is now the agreed production design. The black band around the periphery is the anti-resonance Neoprene ring. You can see the two holes for lifting bolts now included. These have been threaded 8mm and I would suggest that all is need is to fit two 8mm x 35mm socket head bolts. The holes are threaded 12mm deep for adequate lifting security. The top surface of the platter is 300mm in diameter.
    The platter shown weighs 11.5lbs and sits 1mm higher than the standard one, although this will vary from deck to deck. This unit is destined for a Canadian customer.

The design assumes that the customer will need to swap out his magnet assembly into the new platter. This is very straight forward as an 8 pole pulse generator ring has been fitted to the platter and pre-aligned for correct rotation direction and phasing.

The new platter assumes the use of an external power supply as the existing transformer and power board will fowl it. Also you will require to increase the braking power by adjusting the pot. On my test rig the platter stops in ¾ of a turn from 45rpm, not bad eh!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Love the SL110/1100-esque profile..

Mike, can you not investigate the possibility of an SP10 style deck plate, to which the entire drive system can be transferred. A shame that Technics won't suply the motor unit as an OEM item.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Mike_New Guest

DSJR,
    I am currently in the process of designing a totally new plinth for the SL1200.
    Into which all the bits will be transplanted. This will provide an upgrade path from the new bearing and platter to a completely new deck!! also Dave has sugested that I provide for 12" arms The exisitng drive board will just slot into place.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Mike,

Excellent stuff, and good idea to start a new thread

The design assumes that the customer will need to swap out his magnet assembly into the new platter. This is very straight forward as an 8 pole pulse generator ring has been fitted to the platter and pre-aligned for correct rotation direction and phasing.

Also you will require to increase the braking power by adjusting the pot.
    As I thought all that needed doing was to swap one platter for the other (presuming the use of a quality external PSU), you'll need to explain exactly how to do the above, as I've never ventured near the internals of my deck and don't have a scooby-doo what to do.

What is the "magnet assembly" and what does it look like?

Could you possibly post some pictures with arrows pointing at the bits you're taking about and where this pot is that controls the braking speed, and how you access it all?

Remember you're talking to a complete 'dunce' as far as this sort of stuff is concerned so please make it entirely obvious and easy to understand!

I think it would also be good to supply some instructions of how to do this along with every platter supplied, if you haven't done so already

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Giovanni.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Mike,

Excellent stuff, and good idea to start a new thread

As I thought all that needed doing was to swap one platter for the other (presuming the use of a quality external PSU), you'll need to explain exactly how to do the above, as I've never ventured near the internals of my deck and don't have a scooby-doo what to do.

What is the "magnet assembly" and what does it look like?

Could you possibly post some pictures with arrows pointing at the bits you're taking about and where this pot is that controls the braking speed, and how you access it all?

Remember you're talking to a complete 'dunce' as far as this sort of stuff is concerned so please make it entirely obvious and easy to understand!

I think it would also be good to supply some instructions of how to do this along with every platter supplied, if you haven't done so already

Marco.
    Very easy Marco, three screws under the platter, inside the magnet.
    You can see here (1st pic)
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showp...4&postcount=48
    Giovanni.

I'm David.

yeah even i can do that without messing it up marco, its very easy
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Mike_New Guest

Marco,
    I would have liked to offer the complete platter assembly however the magnets are unobtainable. They are 16 radial pole isotropic magnets and are very expensive to manufacture in any quantity under 5,000.

Full instructions will be provided with every unit.
    The braking control pot is well known about by most SL1200 gurus. and is described in the technical manual.

I have had to machine and supply the position pulse generator as this controls the motor rotation (incorrect positioning will make the platter rotate in reverse!!) A red dot on the inside of the magnet cavity serves to corectly position the magnet.

Hamish/Giovanni,

Mmm... Seems easy enough, but I think I'd rather watch someone else doing it first, so I can see it for myself. Sorry, that's just the way I am!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

Blimey marco grow some balls
    it's a lot more fun owning a techie if you know the thing inside out (even if that has meant you have broken it a couple of times
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Hi Mike,

Marco,
    I would have liked to offer the complete platter assembly however the magnets are unobtainable. They are 16 radial pole isotropic magnets and are very expensive to manufacture in any quantity under 5,000.

Full instructions will be provided with every unit.
    The braking control pot is well known about by most SL1200 gurus. and is described in the technical manual.

I have had to machine and supply the position pulse generator as this controls the motor rotation (incorrect positioning will make the platter rotate in reverse!!) A red dot on the inside of the magnet cavity serves to corectly position the magnet.
    Thanks for that, Mike - much appreciated

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast