+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CD transports - do they matter?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Phil,

Basically you're looking for something that's heavily over-engineered and, if possible, uses bespoke parts which are not used by every other 'Tom, Dick and Harry' CDP or transport.

Some of the models I would be looking at (note that certain ones will not come cheap) are:

Marantz CD7.
    Marantz CD12.
    Marantz CD94.

Sony CDP-507ESD.
    Sony CDP-555ESD.
    Sony CDP-605ESD.
    Sony CDP-X707ES.
    Sony CDP-X777ES.

Teac P1.
    Teac P700.

Pioneer PD65.

There are also plenty more. Have a look through this site for examples:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/index.html

Be careful though - only go for ones that you can still get parts for such as laser mechanisms, etc, otherwise all you'll end up with is a nice looking ornament if something irreplaceable fails!

In order to find out that information you would have to contact the manufacturer directly or speak to someone such as Mark Bartlett from Audiocom International on the forum who has worked on most of these units and has a good handle on which still have parts available.

Good luck!

For those who would like to see what the ultimate CDP looks like, and probably the best the world has ever seen, I give you the Sony R-10/DAS-R10:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/s...R10DASR10.html

F*cking gorgeous... *THAT* is what you call a 'statement' CDP!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Great Information Marco. One of the things I love about this forum. Going to check up on some of those you referenced...

I'm Alan.

"Sony CDP-507ESD.
    Sony CDP-555ESD.
    Sony CDP-605ESD.
    Sony CDP-X707ES.
    Sony CDP-X777ES.

Teac P1.
    Teac P700.

Pioneer PD65."

One of these on ebay right now, I've had an eye on it but not the funds in my pocket right now.
    It ends tommorrow morning around 10 am and it's at £100 now. Hope it's what you're after - good luck.

Hi Alan,

Can you post a link to it on Ebay?

Cheers,
    Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I presume it's this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-CDP-555ES...QQcmdZViewItem

If so, Phil, get in there my son! And it has the TDA-1541 S1 chips in it, too...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

The seller is truly a credit to the art of the photography.

This is on my watch list at the moment as it happens, along with a CDP-XA333ES.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Thanks all, you have all been so helpful. I may have a punt. What awful photos - first rule of ebay, get the photos right! I will let you know how I get on. Phil.

One other quick question - I assume all these have a digital output so one can use an external DAC? Phil.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Oh yes. Most decent players have both S/PDIF outputs (optical and coaxial).

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Oh, check out the Sony 555ES also on ebay at the moment: