+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mini ITX audio NAS server?

I'm Steve.

Default Mini ITX audio NAS server?

I may be able to get hold of a basic VIA cpu equippped mini ITX board. It has SATA and I 'think' maybe it has wireless also (but this can be added with simply a usb stick)

My question is this... assumiong I can get it up and running, which OS would be best for hosting FLAC files transferred from another PC? I have been looking at FreeNAS, but I am not sure it will do what I need. Ultimatly, I would like to use either a PS3 or a touch to access the files.

Any advice appreciated. If this is in the wrong place, mods please move it!

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Twisted.

Vortexbox

I use a Via M1000 (oldish by PC reckoning, fanless, IDE) equipped mini ITX machine running Vortexbox to serve music (mostly FLAC) via a wireless router to two squeezeboxes and it works flawlessly.

Vbox is a free fedora-based distro designed precisely for this purpose. Squeezeserver and a load of other handy apps are built in and it'll even rip your CDs automatically if you let it (though I still prefer to use dBPoweramp, I don't really know why).

Transferring files to the VBox system is just a drag-and-drop from my XP/Vista machines over the network - damn sight easier than fiddling around with Ubuntu, which I could never get to work properly.

Installation is piece of cake. Latest version is 1.3.

The experts recommend a minimum of 1 gig ram in such a setup.

Simon
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Steve.

Cool thanks, I had not yet seem Vortexbox, I will have to have a good look at it thanks.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

+ Reply to Thread