+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price check

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    What did you also look at? What did you buy instead?
    I was quite 'put off' to be honest and didn't look at anything else at the time - I just decided not to buy a CD player.
    Account Deleted

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I was quite 'put off' to be honest and didn't look at anything else at the time - I just decided not to buy a CD player.
    Mark, just as an aside, the original Planet has a very high output impedance because of the RC filter on the output (according to Acoustica's site). The thing is also sensitive to placement, relying on its feet for isolation. get these things attended to and I found it a very musical and pleasant player, covering its tracks very well..

Andre, the "Clamshell" Planet/Mira combo is a great used buy. if you see the Jupiter/Io from this period, you'll get more "insight" into the music IMO and a firmer bass quality.

The current Apollo is still under £500, so please bare that in mind when looking for used ten year old examples.

Pssst, the Mira has a lovely simple phono stage in it..........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Deleted.

Well, I put it where my pre-amp usually sits which is on a proper audio support. The top plate is even an exotic ulta-low mass laminate. I don't know about the impedance issue though - I'm not aware I took any special actions (I doubt I did).

I suspect there was nothing wrong with the player at all - I just had rather unrealistic (hopeful) expectations of what could be achieved at the time for the money.
    Account Deleted

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

No probs. We did sell loads on comparison with the Arcam Alpha 8 and 8se, although the latter was more convenient in use.

I have to say that when I returned to part-time retail in 2002, the Diva 82 was at least as good as the Planet/early Apollo and the punters refused to consider a top loading player - amazing how the market changed in two years, but it did, and the retailer I worked for didn't and it folded in 2004...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Mark, just as an aside, the original Planet has a very high output impedance because of the RC filter on the output (according to Acoustica's site). The thing is also sensitive to placement, relying on its feet for isolation. get these things attended to and I found it a very musical and pleasant player, covering its tracks very well..

Andre, the "Clamshell" Planet/Mira combo is a great used buy. if you see the Jupiter/Io from this period, you'll get more "insight" into the music IMO and a firmer bass quality.

The current Apollo is still under £500, so please bare that in mind when looking for used ten year old examples.

Pssst, the Mira has a lovely simple phono stage in it..........
    Aye the old Jupiter with Io DAC would be cool but i don't want to be all flashy

Now what would i want with a phonostage

Mark: i can fully understand why you dont like the sound of the Planet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12