+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Live band vs. audio playback

I'm Alex.

Default Live band vs. audio playback

Just returned from my break. Witnessed firemen brass band on the street corner performing in full swing. I stood about 15 feet away from the band, and went almost deaf! The blaring of the horns was scary.

Got me thinking -- there's no chance in hell that an audio system, ANY audio system, could come even close to reproducing the liveliness and the excitement of that sound.

No?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Mark.

It might not get close to reproducing the liveliness and the excitement of that sound,
    but if it gets the timing right then that's all we really want ....right?

I'm Dave.

I'm very inclined to agree, though some systems may actually go louder. Louder /= better though, despite what many young people seem to think.

I heard once of a very large speaker system (multi) used at an arena for a pop concert - probably Wembley (UK). A bird passed close to one of the speaker arrays, and unfortunately (for it) the drummer just tapped one of his drums. The bird disintegrated. I wasn't there, but a friend told me he'd seen this.

I doubt that your band would have killed the bird.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    It might not get close to reproducing the liveliness and the excitement of that sound,
    No!

We want the excitement of the sound of the real band. Maybe not want it indoors though, though another of my friends had a brass band in his dining room on one of his significant birthdays. Bit of a squeeze, and it was loud, though the audience couldn't get into the room.
    Dave

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    For the money... yes
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm ILOB.

We never going to get a 100% realistic live sound its about the illusion of this
    Anout 60% of the time I actually perfer the sound of my own system to what I hear but when i hear really great live sound it just makes realise that this is just chasing shadows
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Clive.

Hi-Fi is about illusion. Imagine if you listened to grand piano in a 12fit x 18ft room. I don't have have to imagine, I've heard this, it's unbearable. Hi-Fi and recordings have to make music work in an environment totally unlike the real thing.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Hi-Fi is about illusion. Imagine if you listened to grand piano in a 12fit x 18ft room. I don't have have to imagine, I've heard this, it's unbearable. Hi-Fi and recordings have to make music work in an environment totally unlike the real thing.
    If your system makes a concert grand piano, being played in a large concert hall, sound as if it's being played in your 12' x 18' room, then something is very wrong!

People who say "it's just like (insert artist's name) was playing between the speakers in my room", have got it wrong. It shouldn't sound as if they are in your room at all, it should sound as if you have been transported to their performance venue (even if that's a studio).

Regards
    Barry

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    People who say "it's just like (insert artist's name) was playing between the speakers in my room", have got it wrong. It shouldn't sound as if they are in your room at all,
    I've used that phrase several times! What I really meant was

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    it should sound as if you have been transported to their performance venue (even if that's a studio).
    Never thought about it like that but cannot agree more!
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
    I've used that phrase several times! What I really meant was

Never thought about it like that but cannot agree more!
    To be fair, you usually have to listen with eyes closed, or in very subdued light to create the illusion.

Going back to the original post, there are very few systems that can capture the sheer dynamics and 'air' of a brass band played outdoors. Same goes for a barrel organ - you can hear one streets away and just know that it is the genuine article, and not a recording being played.

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast