+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The bug has definitely bitten me!

I'm Gareth.

On the subject of the Fons, an SME arm isn't likely to be cheap (although someone just sold a CQ30 with SME 3009 for £88 on Ebay ).

As I have a perfectly acceptable Jelco arm, are there any SME adapters that allow the fitting of Linn mount arms to an SME mount? I see you can get one for Rega arms, but so far unable to find any Linn adapters. Alternatively, are there any tonearms with an SME mount but not made by SME that might be suitable?

On the subject of the Akai, I'm really surprised at how good it sounds and don't feel like I'm missing out by not having a high end TT and cartridge. It's a shame one of you guys can't have a listen and give me your opinion

Regards
    Gareth

Michell Gyrodec SE/Jelco SA-750D/Nagaoka MP-500/Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Tag Mclaren PPA20/Croft Acoustics Line Only Micro 25R Pre/Croft Acoustics Series 7 Power/iFi Audio iDSD DAC with iFi Audio iUSBPower/PMC Twenty 22 Loudspeakers/Isolda DCT300 Tonearm cable/Klotz MC5000 Interconnects/Atacama SE20 Speaker Stands/Sennheiser HD600 Headphones/Michell HR Power Supply/Mark Grant 8-Way Mains Block

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

*Some* of these golden oldies scub up very well with some TLC and careful siting. I say some, because beauty was often skin deep and the innards could be truly lousy....

I do hope the Fons turns out to be a pleasant surprise - I should add the TD160 should be a Super......

Speaking of TD160 Supers, I have one with SME coming my way at Whitsun. I'm not going to be able to move for vinyl spinners before long..........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by gazcarts View Post
    As I have a perfectly acceptable Jelco arm, are there any SME adapters that allow the fitting of Linn mount arms to an SME mount?
    Avid turntables come as standard with an SME mount, and they make their own adaptor plate to allow fitment of the Jelco SA-250ST to the Diva II. I don't know if they sell the adaptor separately, but it might be worth ringing and asking. I've been nagging Conrad to do a nice fully adjustable one since Slatedeck vanished but no luck yet!

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I'm not going to be able to move for vinyl spinners before long..........
    How many have you got, then?!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Not a huge collection, but in addition to my beloved Dual 701, I have a 1972 vintage Beogram 3000/SP12, a Technics SL-150/Grace 707/Supex 900E Super, a Thorens TD125mk1 awaiting a Rega drilled hole in a blank board for an R200 and a Spacedeck/RB300/AT-F5 on a promise. The 160 Super/SME is from basically the same source (an old school friend) that the Crown amps and Spendors came from..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Gareth.

Well I've finally got the Fons up and running

I ended up buying an SME Series III tonearm off Ebay, from a chap who had owned it since new (he was 18 when he bought it!). You need an engineering degree to fit and adjust it, but it's finally fitted, along with my trusty Dynavector 10x5.

And the sound? Well it sounds fabulous! In fact, as the amplifiers warm up, it sounds better and better. It's actually taking my breath away, as dramatic as that sounds. It's a delight to have such an old deck playing again, after the previous owner had it in storage since the 80s! It's in beautiful condition (see blurry photos) and possibly the first time it has had a tonearm fitted judging by the armboard.

I'm currently using a Herbie's Mat in place of the standard felt one, although I haven't listened to the felt one yet to compare.

Happy days

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gazcarts; 23-05-2010 at 08:09.
    Gareth

Michell Gyrodec SE/Jelco SA-750D/Nagaoka MP-500/Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Tag Mclaren PPA20/Croft Acoustics Line Only Micro 25R Pre/Croft Acoustics Series 7 Power/iFi Audio iDSD DAC with iFi Audio iUSBPower/PMC Twenty 22 Loudspeakers/Isolda DCT300 Tonearm cable/Klotz MC5000 Interconnects/Atacama SE20 Speaker Stands/Sennheiser HD600 Headphones/Michell HR Power Supply/Mark Grant 8-Way Mains Block

I'm Nobody.

Hi Gary
    I see you got the best looking version..Those platters are superbly engineered

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Gary
    I see you got the best looking version..Those platters are superbly engineered

Hi Andre,

I haven't tried removing the platter as I wasn't sure it could be removed. I had no idea is was so substantial. What mat do you use on yours?

Regards
    Gareth

I'm Nobody.

Hi Gary
    I don't have my Fons decks anymore, i used to have three of them, the one same as yours, the one with the couloured controls & the one that looks like the original Ariston 'RD11' but it was just a simple Felt mat i had on em.

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Gary
    I don't have my Fons decks anymore, i used to have three of them, the one same as yours, the one with the couloured controls & the one that looks like the original Ariston 'RD11' but it was just a simple Felt mat i had on em.
    You must have known the deck very well? Any recommendations?

Regards
    Gareth

I'm Gareth.

A quick question...

I have a Townshend Audio tonearm cable that I'd like to use with the Fons/SME. Problem is, it has a 5 pin DIN socket at the turntable end. The SME has normal RCA phono connections.

I've rigged up a separate earth cable, so could I use a phono to DIN cable (e.g. like this one) to connect the Townshend cable?

Many thanks
    Gareth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast