+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Powerful Valve Amp

I'm gone.

Default Wanted: Powerful Valve Amp

I'd like to try some valves with my low efficiency new speakers (83dB/W, 4 ohm).

So something(s) with a bit of sensible power on tap (50wpc minimum probably).

Up to £2k considered ... but happy to spend £5.79p.

What Have You?

... or suggestions welcome.

Oh, and nothing humungously large, please!

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I'd like to try some valves with my low efficiency new speakers (83dB/W, 4 ohm).
    If we don't hear from you again after that experiment, it will answer my question on whether it would work or not .

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Tough job - those MBL speakers are astonishing to listen to, but they really do need some grunt.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDIO-RESEARCH...item19bbeb25df - is this enough ?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Audio Research is fine as long as you know a good service agent locally..............

What's the impedance of the MBL's? if it's 4 ohms I'd forget valves altogether and look for a decent high power ss amp - the Cambridge 840 power amp has good driving ability, no harshness apparently, costs what an amp of this ability should and should maintain good damping and control into a low impedance load, something valves just cannot do if they have output transformers (why 16 Ohm speakers were the norm back then). An amp with low damping/too high an output impedance driving low impedance speakers, has been shown to mess up crossover points..

If yu must have valves for this, I'd probably go with a trusted and reliable one like an EAR 509 pair, the Graff I think you mentioned doesn't have any valviness at all, except for the glowing bottles and hot running....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    What's the impedance of the MBL's?
    First post in the thread Dave http://theartofsound.net/forum/showp...15&postcount=1
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    What's the impedance of the MBL's? if it's 4 ohms I'd forget valves altogether and look for a decent high power ss amp

I have one already - an AVI Lab Series integrated. Really good.

I fancy trying valves.

If yu must have valves for this, I'd probably go with a trusted and reliable one like an EAR 509 pair,

I've had a pair of EAR 509/2 monos ... not the most exciting sound in the world,imo

the Graff I think you mentioned doesn't have any valviness at all, except for the glowing bottles and hot running....

Tee hee - we'll see if Dave is right. I've just succumbed and bought the Graaf 5050 I should get it next week. The salesman guy at KJ West One said it would have no probs into 4 ohms. Of course I believe him!
    Pretty, ain't it.

http://www.graaf.it/5050eng.htm

Rumours are around that Graaf has died, but according to the KJ guy they have been bought out by Audio Analogue.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Graff has output trannies and this automatically means a high output impedance!!!!

The KJ guy (Arif, Richard or the other one?) wouldn't perhaps even know as long as he gets your dosh.....

Of course a valve amp will drive a 4 Ohm load. It's what it does to the speaker while it's doing it that matters..

By the way, AVI stopped making separates largely because of the likes of the current Cambridge amps, which are at least as good in design and far cheaper to buy because of the Chinese manufacture. AVI used Allner-Hamblin (my generation) and now LS-Designs (current electronic production) in the UK for their circuit assemblies.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm gone.

Actually, it's Graaf, not Graff ... see! - ya don't know everything!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Plenty valve amps around with 4 ohm taps on the output trannies..

Jerry,how about KEL80? A WAD design with parallel push pull EL34's I think it was-80w per channel.I'm sure someone on the WD forum was selling one recently.Might be worth a post there.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Very nice ..
    Spence..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast