+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr Richard Bews – LFD: A glimpse into his thinking.

I'm Howard.

Default Dr Richard Bews – LFD: A glimpse into his thinking.

Earlier today, catalysed by an unexpectedly powerful outcome yesterday comparing the LFD MCT phono stage to a phono stage from a state-of-the-art USA valve maker (through the mighty yet subtle QUAD 2905 speakers, which are superior to any of the speakers I currently stock!) I emailed Dr. Richard Bews, the driving force behind LFD, with a few questions.

To my pleasure and amazement, given that he has a runaway success on his hands due to the incredible review of his Mk3 Integrated amplifier in the Feb. 2008 issue of Stereophile magazine, I received a comprehensive and typically courteous – very quickly.

Being a bit of a technical dummy on these sort of things I needed to phone him to gain his authoritative but patiently gently explanations of all the bits I didn’t understand. I came away, after that call, understanding only about 15% more than I did previously! Hmm!

Thus the Q&As you are about to read is to some extent a compound of Dr Bews’ emailed responses and my own notes from the subsequent conversation earlier today.

As it turns out, this is very much far from being the entire story. Some of the techniques he uses to get the incredible performance from the MCT are beyond my comprehension. Some are currently beyond belief. The point being that while the MCT is without doubt the most musically credible phono stage I have ever owned, let alone heard, and a full interview (complete with my write up of some of the demonstrations he’ll conduct for me in private) will follow in due course.

He’ll demonstrate (and I hope I’ll be able to hear, and he assures me I will – if I don’t go to any more Who gigs for a while) the sonic differences between very high purity silver single strand internal interconnect cables (which he doesn’t believe is good enough) versus his own multi-strand high purity silver interconnect using 5 different and precisely calibrated diameter strands, which he does use in the MCT.

I should explain that the LFD MCT is an anonymous heavy black box with a pair of input RCA sockets and a pair of RCA output sockets and an IEC mains input – and that’s it. No controls, no adjustments and not even an on/off button.

Anyway, here’s what I learned today .........

http://www.stereonow.co.uk/lfd.html#QA
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 29-05-2008 at 22:04.
    Well, hello.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Reading your email Howard about the forthcoming sale, I was interested to see an LFD Powerstage 2 in the sale list. However I've failed to find anything on the net in terms of reviews or even technical specs.

Anywhere you can point me?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm gone.

Yes, Rob, as far as I can see formal reviews of LFD kit are very few and far between. "Sam Tellig" in Stereophile has great enthusiasm for the cheaper LFD amps and often mentions them in his column, claiming a 'light from within' that he finds very rare in ss kit.

I've had an LFD LS2 pre-amp and currently own LFD i/c and speaker cables. (The i/c's are up for sale ).

Jerry,
    do you have the silver speaker cable ?
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Togil View Post
    Jerry,
    do you have the silver speaker cable ?
    Hi Hans

I have the LFD Spiroflex I cables - copper, I think. Very good it is, too!

What's happened to Mr. Popeck ? Rob's question still stands...

I couldn't find any reference to LFD power amps on the internet. I was at the University of Essex at the time when Prof. Hawksford developed his theories on propagation of audio signals; pretty complicated stuff although you don't hear about it any more nowadays. So LFD remains English cottage industry at its best.
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yes, Rob, as far as I can see formal reviews of LFD kit are very few and far between. "Sam Tellig" in Stereophile has great enthusiasm for the cheaper LFD amps and often mentions them in his column, claiming a 'light from within' that he finds very rare in ss kit.

I've had an LFD LS2 pre-amp and currently own LFD i/c and speaker cables. (The i/c's are up for sale ).
    Cheers Jerry, I'll have a dig about in the Stereophile archives and see if I can find any passing comments.

I had a funny feeling you might have owned something from LFD - but let's face it mate, you've had most things.

Top man.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm gone.

Well, I have to confess that I found the LS2 active pre-amp bland and uninspiring.

I am seriously impressed by the LFD cables I've had, though.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Mmmm, I wonder how the power amp sounds then.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Mmmm, I wonder how the power amp sounds then.
    My Powerstage2 sounds not unlike an early (late 1970s / early 1980s) NAIM 250. A very compelling sound, but at the same time not quite 'in-ya-face'. Terrific bass control. I've used it to drive a 1.6 ohm load - without distress. Excellent dynamics and a revealing top end. Not quite as dynamic as my LFD PA3 monoblocks, but surprisingly close for much less money

My demo unit is for sale and details can be seen here:
    http://www.stereonow.co.uk/secret.html
    Well, hello.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast