+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigur Ros 'takk' - I kinda get it now, I think...

I'm David.

Default Sigur Ros 'takk' - I kinda get it now, I think...

Takk is most known for the track that fetured in the BBC's stunning series 'Earth' .. That's the reason I bought the album anyway...
    When I got it home I was a little disapointed, not in the music - which is epic and moving to say the least, but in the sound quality. I had the cd version, I was never put off listening to it, was just always a bit disatisfied with the level of compression, both dynamic and in terms of it sounding like it had been compressed to mp3 - grainy and tinny etc. Since being a memeber of this forum I have learnt of the 'loudness wars' and more about compresion etc, people, including me are often banging on about most modern music sounding shite and lacking in dynamics and well just sounding too loud. Well I have just bought the 200g vinyl version of 'takk' and it does sound better than the cd version - less gravely and noisy. But it still sounds in many parts very dynamically compressed.
    In the title of the thread I say 'I kinda get it now' .. What I mean by that is that now it's not had the extra aparent problem of being put on cd, it seems a lot clearer to me that in fact that this dynamic compression is not the result of anything but artistic licence, perhaps I'm giving the band the benefit of the doubt, but I think they wanted it to sound this way? It goes well with the distortion that has been applied to various intruments and samples (that also sound much better on this vinyl version. Also It does after all give it a slightly disquieting and slightly anxious feel to it which is quiet apt concidering it comes from Iceland, a stunning beautiful place that what with it's tendancys to spurt lava could also be concidering disquieting and anxious.
    Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, I'm not sure, either way I'm happy I bought this 'audiophile' vinyl version as I am now feel i get the album a lot more, even if my interpretation isnt the intended, it suits me just fine!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

It sounds like compression is a common thing on sigur rós albums - I have "með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust", and there's a lot of compression going on, as well as mixed in distortions.
    What you're hearing is what the artist intended.

There's a dark, brooding nature to the little of this artist's work I've heard.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    It sounds like compression is a common thing on sigur rós albums - I have "með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust", and there's a lot of compression going on, as well as mixed in distortions.
    What you're hearing is what the artist intended.

There's a dark, brooding nature to the little of this artist's work I've heard.
    I would agree with that.

I have tried hard with Sigor Ros but its only Takk and their last album that I can listen to. The music is way too avante garde for me for the most part.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ILOB.

Its a shame this happens to good music...... one of the frustrations of having a good system......next step Hamish boring audiophile music if you not careful
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm David.

dont get me wrong john, i like it for the fact its like that... id prefer there is justification for loudness than just loudness ofr loudness sake... if i llike it il listen to it.. id prefer all music to sound clear and open and dynamic, but if it was made to sound that way then il respect the wishes of the artist above all else
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

as for boring audiophile music... most of the bowers & wilkins stuff comes in that category for me... it sounds excelent but its dull as anything... id rather listen to badly produced music i do like than that any day of the week

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    as for boring audiophile music... most of the bowers & wilkins stuff comes in that category for me... it sounds excelent but its dull as anything... id rather listen to badly produced music i do like than that any day of the week
    Agree
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I think if there is anyone here who doesn't agree they are probably on the wrong forum!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Well I am sat on the fence on this one Hamish.

I've had a free membership of the Society of Sound and as a result have downloaded a number of EP's, some of which don't float my boat, and some which most definitely do.

All are superbly recorded.

Of the one's that do float my boat there's Daby Touré & Skip McDonald's EP, and there's a superb EP of solo piano by the fantastic Benjamin Grosvenor.

Peter Gabriel's latest album is also there as a 24/96 flac download.

Your point about "Audiophile Recordings" is a very valid one - there are plenty of snooze inducing examples of this ilk, but equally it is unfair to tar all of the recordings available at the Society of Sound website with this brush.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I would agree with that.

I have tried hard with Sigor Ros but its only Takk and their last album that I can listen to. The music is way too avante garde for me for the most part.

Regards D S D L
    If you haven't quite given up yet, Jonsi, the lead singer of Sigur Ros, has a new solo album out called Go. Even more accessible than Takk which, I agree, is one of their more accessible pieces of work. It's quite upbeat\uplifting. Think you might like it.

Available as a digital download too - in mp3, apple lossless and flac.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast