+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good CD sound on a tight budget?

I'm David.

yeah man, them wierd spinny silver things are dead... move on, move on!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Codifus View Post
    I know this is not quite what you had in mind and the budget may be a bit over, but why not retire the CD and start the process to build a computer based music server? Assuming you already have a computer, your initial investment could be an Apple Airport Express, a decent optical cable, and perhaps a Beresford TC-7520. Those two devices and the cable to connect them are the basic building blocks to get you started. You'd be surprised at how good it can sound.

What I like about the airport express is that;

1. It operates over the network, so the computer can be located away from the stereo.
    2. The airport express is a completely silent device.
    3. iTunes is free and hooks up to the airport.
    4. Using the Airport express and its optical out, you can get some really good audio quality. Even Stereophile agrees;

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalpr...ple/index.html

Lastly, the idea of having your entire music collection at your finger tips, does that not sound appealing?

CDs are so, um , yesterday

CD
    You may be right - I already have quite a collection of FLAC files on my hard drive (I'm not a fan of MP3, so use FLAC on my Sansa Fuze in the car) and have thought about a squeezebox in the past (will the Apple alternative do FLAC btw?), so I could investigate that.

Cheers

Martin
    "Music is the space between the notes"
    Debussy.

"I'd buy me a used car lot and I wouldn't sell any of em
    I'd just drive a different car every day dependin on how I feel"
    Tom Waits

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Martin,

Here's an excellent Sony CDP at a bargain price:

http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index....roducts_id=898

Dave, who runs the business, is a member here and I can personally vouch for the quality of the equipment he sells (all fully inspected and guaranteed), which makes the purchase risk-free, and also the superb service he offers his customers, especially members of AOS

You'll also have a fiver left over for a bottle of wine (or a few beers) to toast your good fortune!

Marco.
    That player is a better version of the one that I use: the Sony CDP XB720E QS. I bought mine for about £150 three years ago as a 'stop gap' but kept it as I am quite happy with the performance. I hope to try out a separate DAC soon.

£95 for the CDP XB930E QS is a bargain indeed.

Regards
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by horace View Post
    You may be right - I already have quite a collection of FLAC files on my hard drive (I'm not a fan of MP3, so use FLAC on my Sansa Fuze in the car) and have thought about a squeezebox in the past (will the Apple alternative do FLAC btw?), so I could investigate that.

Cheers

Martin
    Unfortunately, Apple does not do FLAC. Rather, they have their own version;ALAC

Since you already have a FLAC collection, the Squeezebox and a decent DAC may be the right path for you.

CD
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Should be a few Squeezeboxes coming on to ebay from people upgrading to the Touch.

I'm Rob.

I'm very pleased with my Musical Fidelity VDAC. It replaced an Arcam black box 5. It also has a USB in so good for playing back from your PC too! Excellent value.
    Rob.