Default System Help

Hello everyone,

This is my current system,
    Apple Lossless files with iTunes 9
    PowerMac G5
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Soundcard
    Arcam A65 plus Amp
    B&W 602.5 SE Speakers

I’m far from happy with the way it sounds, its flat and bland, I hate to use the iTunes Equalizer and even though the demo of Pure Vinyl and Amarra, both improved the sound tremendously I would rather keep the signal as clean as possible without internal processing.

My question, that I hope someone can answer is, would a better option be to use a DAC between the Mac and Amp, I have looked at the Caiman and DACMagic, from what I read the DACMagic is preferred but i like the technical specs or the Caiman more.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these DAC or can recommend another, or have any other ideas to make my system sing and not sound more like a Roberts Radio, my budget is around £1000.

Thanks,

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The 2496 is supposed to be a superb DAC. I have one installed but haven't used it in anger yet.. What is Amarra doing to improve the sound? Digital files are digital files when all's said and done, but you could try a Caiman or MF V-DAC..

The A65 could be usefully improved though, the 602's are hardly state of the art (although funky) and you look to be a perfect candidate for AVI ADM9.1's, which in this case could have been tailor made for you....

P.S. Make sure you have the 2496 and G5 configured correctly (cannot help here).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ILOB.

I think the Dac should cure a lot of the issues
    I often use Itunes to play music and get good results from it
    Make sure your volume is on maximum in Itunes this can really effect sound quality and if recording record at the highest bit rate you can
    Last edited by John; 04-05-2010 at 07:58.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm David.

Don't know the dac majik, I have a caiman and a v-dac... The caiman wins in the usefulness (built in headphone amp and preamp if you want to use them) and overall sound quality stakes.
    The vdac sounds quite nice with quite an alluring sound, I use it in my office system but couldn't use it in my main system as I don't think it sounds "real" like the caiman does .. Th caiman now comes with a better power supply that then one I have too... I'd go for that if i were you as it gives you the chace to experiment with power amps, if
    you trawl through the endless Beresford threads no end of people have had loads of succes useing caimans etc as pre amps to the power amps in nad amps and the like with big jumps in sq!
    At the end of the day though, dacs are dacs they are different but if your system is dull I'd probably look at a different part of it (caiman and a power amp is an option) daves beloved avi's could be an option, but basically relive you of any kinda upgreade path (fine if you like em) or just some different speakers?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

oops, how to confuse a man by Hamish after john... I have no clue about macs
    ... Dacs are dacs... I'm begining to sound like dimitri ... If the 2496 dac is good in the mac as dave says... I'd still point the finger else where... Just my disolutioned with dacs atitude though
    (don't let me put you off a caiman like I said there's more to it than just a dac)
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    oops, how to confuse a man by Hamish after john... I have no clue about macs
    ... Dacs are dacs... I'm begining to sound like dimitri ... If the 2496 dac is good in the mac as dave says... I'd still point the finger else where... Just my disolutioned with dacs atitude though
    (don't let me put you off a caiman like I said there's more to it than just a dac)
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Quote Originally Posted by mattmerr View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is my current system,
    Apple Lossless files with iTunes 9
    PowerMac G5
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Soundcard
    Arcam A65 plus Amp
    B&W 602.5 SE Speakers

I’m far from happy with the way it sounds, its flat and bland, I hate to use the iTunes Equalizer and even though the demo of Pure Vinyl and Amarra, both improved the sound tremendously I would rather keep the signal as clean as possible without internal processing.

My question, that I hope someone can answer is, would a better option be to use a DAC between the Mac and Amp, I have looked at the Caiman and DACMagic, from what I read the DACMagic is preferred but i like the technical specs or the Caiman more.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these DAC or can recommend another, or have any other ideas to make my system sing and not sound more like a Roberts Radio, my budget is around £1000.

Thanks,
    Oh this is too easy In this setup that I am suggesting, you would be using the Caiman as a pre-amplifier to drive the amp more or less directly.

Get the Caiman - 190 pounds.
    Buy a decent toslink cable, like this one;

http://www.beresford.me/PP/TOSLINK_CABLE_XQ_.html

Get an inexepensive power amp, like my Behringer EP2000, 150 pounds.

Lastly, get a line converter like the s-convert to bump up the Caiman's consumer level output to match the Behringer's pro-level inputs; 40 pounds;

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1699

Here's the list summarized;

Caimain - 190 pounds
    Toslink cable - 20 pounds
    S-Convert - 40 pounds
    Behringer EP2000 - 160 pounds

Total spent: Approximately 420 pounds. Less than half your budget.

3 caveats;

1. The PowerMac G5's optical output is limited to 48Khz, so only bit perfect 44.1/16 is possible to the Caimain optically. Your soundcard may have better options to take full advantange of the Caiman's 24/96 capability.

2. The Behringer has an incredibly noisy original fan. You would have to open it up to replace it with a quieter fan. This activity, of course, would potentially void your warranty. But then, where else can you get 1000 watts per channel of true hifi audio quality power for less than 200 pounds? The Behringer EP1500, 2000, 2500 and 4000 models all have the same chassis. Details of changing the 2500's fan is here;

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ringer+fan+mod

I used these very same instructions to change my 2000's fan.

3. Since the Caiman IS the pre-amp, the only inputs you can use are the ones going ito the Caimain. No analog inputs and no remote. The sound is hard to beat.

Last, and probably the most important part, set the gains to your amp properly. This is how I did it;

Set the gains on your amp to zero, or minimum.
    DISCONNECT THE SPEAKERS!! The test signal can actually destroy corssover and/or mid-range or tweeter.
    Itunes is set to bit perfect mode. No EQ. Volume at max, 100 percent or 1.
    on my Digital audio workstation, I recorded a 1Khz sine wave at 0 db for 10 minutes. If you don't have a DAW I can send you the file if you'de like.
    Playback that test signal in iTunes and set the gains on the Behringer to the point that the clip (RED LEDs) just start to flicker.
    Once you've set the gains, delete that file from your itunes library. You don't want to leave it there and one day while on random, iTunes plays that file. Can you say "Ouch!"
    DONE.

Connect your speakers and enjoy.

When I set my gain by ear, I had set the Behringer to 12 oclock. However, after using this method, I had to set the gain to 9 oclock!!

My system sounds so good now I can't believe it, and I only have a lowly G4 running at a "blazing 733 mhz" running iTunes 7
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

Thank you all

@Dave R, Yes the 2496 is great but its only 24-bit/96kHz, maybe an upgrade to the higher 192 Soundcard which is 24-bit/192kHz audio would be a better option. That Amarra software is supposed to make the signal from iTunes more Audiophile, it does sound sweeter, but I’m a purist and that is just internal processing, i want to maintain a clear signal, I even bypass the tone controls on the A65.

I looked at the AVI’s but i don’t think they will have adequate bass output, I don’t want to move from floor-standers and an external Subwoofer may be OK for Home Cinema but i don’t consider it Hi-Fi.

@Hamish, Maybe you are right, a speaker upgrade might be the answer, I was under the impression that the B&Ws were pretty Hi-Fi but now I’m not so sure, the midrange it fantastic, just too much off it. Any suggestions of a real class pair of 3-way floorstanders?

@Codifus, Woah, lol, thats big steps, but interesting I’ll certainly be looking into this, maybe with a better Soundcard with xlr to cut out the S-convert. BTW I still have my first mac 733 mhz G4 AV, nothing lowly about those workhorses.

I'm David.

I have been looking at ipl kit speakers

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/ipl_ac...smission_l.htm

I have some pmc transmision line's similar to the ipl's mine are 2 way fb1+ ... If you like speakers capable of deep bass these might work for you - they look to be good value, but having not amy experience of them I can't really comment. Searches on the Internet about prove almost unanimously positive ...
    I'm concidering the s2tpl's ...

I'm ILOB.

Why not go full range plenty of options from Tannoys Golds to Hawthrone Silver Iris and lots more in between will give u really great sounds for very sensiable money If you wish to hear what they can do PM me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast