+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New stylus for Ortofon 540 MkII

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I'm not aware of any company doing this other than Rega with their fixed styli assemblies or with certain expensive MC's having a p/x scheme.

The 500 Series Ortofons haven't been manufactured for a few years, so any styli are NOS. The price now is £180 but you might save a bit if you can find a dealer with one hanging around on the stock shelf.

Prices of Ortofon products are high now as are those of Nagaoka - that MP300 was the equivalent of a £100 cartridge not so long ago. I don't believe it is just the importer making money, it is more down to the state of the Pound, which is worth naff all nowadays. The best bargains are now British Hi-Fi.
    Must be me loosing it then! In fact I just opened up the box my Ortofon came in to find it contains a Goldring Eroica MC whcih I thought I traded in for the 540...

Anyone want an Eroica MC?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

No thanks, but dave has just reminded me that the rega Exact may be worth a punt. the Vital tip isn't too difficult to work with and the cartridge lacks the bassy sludge of its cheaper siblings..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

The Exact is an excellent cartridge. I have recently re-discovered it when I had nothing spare to fit on a new TT. It's fast, exciting, dynamic, clean and detailed and it images exceptionally well. What it loses out on slightly to a good MC is spatial info but for that you would need to spend double.

I'm Martin.

The Exact is an excellent cartridge. I have recently re-discovered it when I had nothing spare to fit on a new TT. It's fast, exciting, dynamic, clean and detailed and it images exceptionally well. What it loses out on slightly to a good MC is spatial info but for that you would need to spend double.
    what I'm wanting is someplace I can drop the deck off, have it serviced new cart fitted and then go back and pick it up again (like I used to when the Systemdek dealer was just 2 miles away) . You lot down south don't know how lucky you are with a hi-fi dealer on every street corner

There's a Rega dealer about 15 miles up the road from me in Congleton (Synergy) I will have to see if they will offer that service. 15 miles out into the sticks and back is a pain when you don't have a motor They do the Exact but want £250 notes...On the WTF on line review they price it at £195. Lukewarm review too, for what that's worth. 'Lacks Bass grip'. But I suppose prices may have gone up since it was written.

I still fancy the Nag Mp300 for no valid reason though. Discovering I still had the Goldring makes me wonder if I still don't have the Nag MP30 stashed away somewhere. Might start a search of the junk room later on

Thanks for the advice lads, always appreciated
    Current Lash Up:

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It may be worth asking Nag's distributors (Musonic) if the bodies are the same, in which case you could get away with a stylus if you can find the MP30.....

Rega's MM's have always had too much bass, to better match their lean-toned speakers and decks, but the Exact was never quite like that. I suspect in WTF's over damped office dem room it wouldn't be brash enough, where I suspect they'd love the Sumiko BPS, as do I..

I think most MM types (except Decca's) lose spatial info and/or drama when compared to good MC types. I haven't tried the latest top end Grado's and AT's though..

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    what I'm wanting is someplace I can drop the deck off, have it serviced new cart fitted and then go back and pick it up again (like I used to when the Systemdek dealer was just 2 miles away) . You lot down south don't know how lucky you are with a hi-fi dealer on every street corner
    Pity you don't live closer because you could bring it here.

The Exact was £298 but Rega dropped the price to £249 a couple of years ago and this has resulted in a lot more sales. It is a very good cartridge you don't have to make excuses for.

As for the WTF review - I wouldn't even consider it with a massive pinch of salt.

I'm Martin.

Pity you don't live closer because you could bring it here.

If I did, I certainly would
    Current Lash Up:

I'm David.

These sellers are good IMO -

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Willia...34Q2ec0Q2em322

A bit cheaper than you suggested and the M20 FL Super stylus I bought from them last year was brand new (old stock?) and in perfect condition..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12