+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Art of remastering - Link

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Default The Art of remastering - Link

Many thanks to Cable Monkey on AO forum for posting this link..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...f_Remastering/

I mention this particularly because of recent discussions between me, HiFi Dave and Marco regarding a certain Thomas Dolby remaster, mentioned in this programme. TD and the remastering engineer worked TOGETHER on this release and were both interviewed, so, sorry both, what you hear on this CD is what Mr Dolby wanted you to hear (I like it, bass and all, but then, my setup could be accused of not being good enough..... )..

Enjoy - and if anyone can record successfully on Audacity or similar (my first try is awful) I'd be most grateful...

P.S. - This programme is about SERIOUS engineers trying to get the best out of ancient recordings, NOT the current record company slaves being forced to screw levels up so high all the dynamics are gone, although comments were made about "The Who - Live at Leeds," where a second unnecessary remastering was carried out...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

You'd like a recording of the programme ?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    You'd like a recording of the programme ?
    Yes please.. if you and your hard drive can spare the time and space..

I'm going to have one more go using some Nero software I have on a different PC and shall report back...

No problems Dave - I'm on the case now.
    Chris

I'm Nobody.

I don't really understand how a TD remaster can sound better, end of the day drum machines were used on the original albums.Those drum machines sound shit to me, a big problem i have with 80's recordings in particular...

Fair enough Andre, but your comments are about your personal taste, and little to do with the thread topic.
    Chris

I'm David.

The vinyl, as great as it sounds, loses bass and there's some "de-essing" going on, even with top quality styli.. The remastered CD is done at a low and non compressed level, the treble is restored but we've had interesting "discussions" regarding the bass level and quality on the CD

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Many thanks to Cable Monkey on AO forum for posting this link..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...f_Remastering/

I mention this particularly because of recent discussions between me, HiFi Dave and Marco regarding a certain Thomas Dolby remaster, mentioned in this programme. TD and the remastering engineer worked TOGETHER on this release and were both interviewed, so, sorry both, what you hear on this CD is what Mr Dolby wanted you to hear (I like it, bass and all, but then, my setup could be accused of not being good enough..... )..

Enjoy - and if anyone can record successfully on Audacity or similar (my first try is awful) I'd be most grateful...

P.S. - This programme is about SERIOUS engineers trying to get the best out of ancient recordings, NOT the current record company slaves being forced to screw levels up so high all the dynamics are gone, although comments were made about "The Who - Live at Leeds," where a second unnecessary remastering was carried out...
    Hi Dave,

Is all this in preparation for a 'certain commision' ? Nudge nudge !

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread