+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Magna Audio's custom-made counterweight balance and armboard service!

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Looks great Steve. I'd forgotten you are doing these - I need to sort something for my SME 3009 S2 Improved now I am running a Sumiko headshell, currently lashed up with two 50p pieces and some white-tack - it should be a fairly straightforward job, just a cylindrical weight with a thread and then a threaded piece:

Basically this is the standard one, and it needs to be heavier. Is that something you would be able to do? (And rough cost - PM if you like.) Cheers!
    Can't you do what they did with the Syrinx PU2 with the additional Mass ring, this would be the best way for obvious reasons.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Alex, I don't mean to stand on Mr Speedy's toes, but don't SME themselves do a heavier screw-in counterweight for the "improved" 3009S2? I'm sure Steve could make you up something special though as long as he knows the thread pitch needed.
    Yes, they do, but based on the price of the standard one it would be at least £50 delivered inc. VAT. I had/have bought one off ebay for £20, but the seller has been an f'in nightmare, took ages to send it, and then when it came it wasn't the heavy (140g) one at all, but a standard one at 108g! So now looks like I will have to go back to the drawing board I suspect. To be fair, the 50ps white-tacked to the end hardly notice anyway... I may just find a suitable cover instead. (Been trying various platic bottle tops eg. fabric conditioner, one of which may actually work ok trimmed down and sprayed silver!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Can't you do what they did with the Syrinx PU2 with the additional Mass ring, this would be the best way for obvious reasons.
    Don't know that arm Andre, but did think that maybe Steve could just machine a sleeve or "cup" that fitted around the current weight, adding the extra 32g or so that I need. Having just Googled Syrinx PU2, I think that is basically the same idea - thanks.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Syrinx was slightly different, as the mass ring fitted over the whole lateral bearing assembly, giving asymetric inertia - more lateral inertia than vertical with ring fitted.

I wish SME would re-consider their spares pricing structure. It's not as if dealers have huge margins on their products either I understand
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The Syrinx was slightly different, as the mass ring fitted over the whole lateral bearing assembly, giving asymetric inertia - more lateral inertia than vertical with ring fitted.
    Hi Dave
    Thought youd be along to say that , your correct of coarse. I was just thinking about doing the same but fixing it to the weight instead, save machining cost aswell id have thought

I'm Steve.

Latest weight
    A 150g in Tungsten copper alloy for a SL-1210 for a chap in Italy.
    Rather interesting idea - 3 extra holes for grub screws to add / remove weight!
    Unfortunately he had to wait a while as the belt on my lathe broke and I was waiting for a new one to arrive before I could finish the piece.

Last edited by Magna Audio; 31-10-2017 at 08:08.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Steve, you certainly do a very neat job

I might need a new weight machining for my Aiwa AP2600 which is fitted with a standard arm. That may one day change.

I guess i'll find out when i fit a Sumiko headshell & a modified Denon DL103

Now from what i gather you don't trust the standard adjusters & you like to directly connect the counterweight (though possibly via a nylon bush?) to the arm proper?

If that's the case & i work out what mass i need, if i measure the arm with a micrometer would you be able to machine a new counterweight for me or would you need other information?

Thanks in advance
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Steve.

It depends on the stub arrangement. My PL-71 arm has a damped stub and a weight carrier with spiral adjuster on the stub - weights just need to sleeve over that and grub in.
    Other arms are simply counterweight grubbing on to arm stub like Rega.
    It was the Alphason arms that had a nylon inner sleeve with the grub acting on the nylon to clamp through to the stub so I copied that arrangement.

Making a a spiral screw to work like the commercial arms have is beyond my DIY set up so it's choose from one of the above.

I think there is definitely something to be said for damping the stub or the CW in some way on some arms.

If you know the weight and outer and inner diameter needed I can calc the length to get that weight. Brass it has to be as I don't want to machine SS and the Tungsten copper alloy is only a special order and will be a lot more expensive.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Steve.

Latest work - a Rega R200 12" conversion.

First remove the old butt plug and cable

Wand fitted & wired with Silver Litz

Then a counterweight

and a VTA adjustable base (the original was plastic and you had to add or remove bits making it very crude)

Cardas din plug

Awaiting the 90deg angle socket to finish the project.

Last edited by Magna Audio; 31-10-2017 at 08:06.

I'm Neil.

Nice job

Regards D S D L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast