+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Magna Audio's custom-made counterweight balance and armboard service!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I'll need to find out the arm tube dia at the back. Perhaps a Techie owner can measure with a vernier caliper?
    Can anyone help with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdg View Post
    15.85 mm

in imperial should be: 0.5 in + 6/128 (but not sure how to read this on caliper)
    Many thanks, Giovanni!

Does that sound OK, Steve?

I'm Steve.

1st one made up for jandl100

Be in the post tomorrow.
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 05-08-2017 at 07:16. Reason: Put the picture back
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm gone.

WOW! - that looks seriously cool.

Thanks Steve!

I'm Giovanni.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy.steve View Post
    1st one made up for jandl100
    Be in the post tomorrow.
    Steve, did you provide one screw only, don't you?
    Why didn't you try with two? maybe with allen key head.
    Giovanni.

I'm Steve.

Allen key grubs esp small ones have a habit of spinning out.
    Plus I can make a grub with a simple crosscut thus keeping costs down.
    On something like a counter weight 2 would be rather overkill, but of course doable if spec'd.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Giovanni.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy.steve View Post
    Allen key grubs esp small ones have a habit of spinning out.
    well, that was the reason why I asked about 2 screws (grubs?).
    Allen key makes feel comfortable about not breaking the head of the screw.
    Giovanni.

I'm Steve.

No doubt bigger allen key grubs would be ok. I've had 2 and 3mm ones that were not upto it.
    These are M5 anyway so beefy enough for the job!

I'm gone.

Received the c/w from Steve - Speedy indeed!

Doh ! What a dill-brain I am. Why didn't I check the measurement on my tonearm rather than only relying on Giovanni's measurement on his arm?

Just roughly guessing by holding a ruler, my arm tube diameter where the c/w goes is about 12-13mm, which is rather smaller than Giovanni's 15.85mm.

Still, the Denon cart likes a nicely compliant mounting, so the layers of electrical tape I have wrapped around the arm to make a better fit should be fine then, eh?

No, I've not listened to the tt with this setup yet. Just set the tracking weight. I got a bit discouraged so it was CD all the way yesterday!
    Last edited by jandl100; 07-05-2010 at 09:09.

I'm Steve.

Oh! All is not lost however - Send it back to me and I will make an interference fit sleeve to go inside the 16mm that is drilled out to either the 12mm or 13mm you need.
    You do need to tell me the exact diameter of the tube though so I can drill out to right size.

When the face is machined / polished anew you will hardly be able to see the hairline where the two join.

Other option is I can reuse your VW on a PL-71 order I have as that needs a bit centre hole...

I think loads of elec tape will have the same effect as the Rega counterweight stub that OL replaces with proper solid one to fit CW on.

I'm gone.

Thanks, Steve

All errors are entirely my fault!

Actually, listening to the tt this morning, it sounds noticeably more together than with my previous bodge-up with the 2p pieces blu-tacked on the end of the standard Techie c/w.

But I think I will take you up on your kind offer and return it for the internal 'sleeve' you mention, also an added bit of weight would be fine, too, as the c/w is riding toward the back of the shaft.

Also, is it possible to add an extra grub-screw about 2/3rds of the way back on the c/w? Otherwise it can wobble a bit if the fit isn't perfect.

Happy to meet your parts and labour costs on ths mess-up, of course.

Can you just drop me your address by PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast