+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Magna Audio's custom-made counterweight balance and armboard service!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Slight thread drift http://www.royalmint.com/store/BritishBase/DU10.aspx - note that there is a specification section for the coin set, and this shows the metallic composition of all of the coins currently in circulation.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Steve.

Marco created this thread following my making him an ebony armboard for his superb SL-1210 deck.
    There's a whole thread on that.

This thread is for counterweights and armboards and other things I hand craft.

Here is a little taster of the following pages of the products I make.

You can see more on my website (see link at the bottom).

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Interesting!

I am in need of a heavy counterweight for my Technics 1210 to counterbalance my very heavy re-bodied Denon 103.

But ... I don't have the means to weigh the thing accurately - all I know is that it takes four 2p pieces blu-tacked together and on to the end of the standard Techie c/w to make it balance!

Any ideas how I can specify and quantify my requirements so Steve knows what to make?
    No probs. If you weigh the lot and let me know.
    I had a Techie here until recently but sold it due to SP-10.
    I'll need to find out the arm tube dia at the back. Perhaps a Techie owner can measure with a vernier caliper?

Are you ok with loosing the spiral spin heavy / lighter action?

Normally I would just drill out to the right dia and use a grub screw to secure - bit more difficult to weigh in as you have to just slide the weight with light grip on from the grubscrew and when right tighten suitably tight.
    This is how a Rega or Schick 12" is done
    Prob improves rigidity to the arm...
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 28-10-2017 at 08:58.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by REM View Post
    So how come you know a 2p weighs a quarter oz?
    For the same reason I know a penny weighs an 8th oz / 3.56g
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

If I can find my digi's il weigh the counterwieght for you jerry...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

99.66g

i have a whole spare techie tone arm here... i would happily loan it to you steve for referance if that will help?

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Slight thread drift http://www.royalmint.com/store/BritishBase/DU10.aspx - note that there is a specification section for the coin set, and this shows the metallic composition of all of the coins currently in circulation.
    I quite like the fact that if "coppers" were actually made of copper they would now be worth more than value they represent...

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy.steve View Post
    No probs. If you weigh the lot and let me know. ...........
    Thanks Steve for the reply & also the PMs about the LP clamp ...

& thanks to Hamish - it looks like my ideal counterweight would be 28.5 + 99.66 + a bit for the blu-tac! Call it 130g or a bit less.

A grub screw to secure is fine.

I'll need to find out the arm tube dia at the back. Perhaps a Techie owner can measure with a vernier caliper?
    Can anyone help with this?

Hey - this is exciting, isn't it!

I'm Giovanni.

15.85 mm

in imperial should be: 0.5 in + 6/128 (but not sure how to read this on caliper)
    Giovanni.

I'm David.

... Arm tube dia... I'm happy to send steve my spare arm for him to use to get it right jerry
    I'd quite like a custom counter balance too but purly for aesthetics... Is they any other benefit to them other than added weight (which it apears I don't need and have a jelco heavy one if I did)

Jerry ... Without wanting to lumber steve with loads of milling, have you thought about asking him to make you a big heavy weight/clamp?

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Jerry ... Without wanting to lumber steve with loads of milling, have you thought about asking him to make you a big heavy weight/clamp?
    I certainly have!

.... see my reply to Steve above.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast