+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2019 Update Thread - My final system I think.

I'm Gary.

Another set of my favourite Ghost+ XLR studio cables from the States.
    Hooking up the Project Phonostage balanced into the Preamp.

Lets see what this Puppy can do.

I'm Grant.

looks good, and can only help i'd think gary.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Postie's Been.

nice one cherrie
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    looks good, and can only help i'd think gary.
    Yeah.
    They really did the business hooking up my amps and Dac, closest to a "straight wire with gain" sound I've had from any cable.
    Very transparent and tonally accurate.

Take an AGE to burn in though, so expecting the usual ups n downs.

Not all bad though,
    Not long had the Rega Cart rebuilt, so just plug in the cable and let em both run in over time, and just enjoy the records.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Brian.

That's a nice looking cable mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Gary.

Posted previouly about my Pro-Ject phonostage going linear powered from the balanced mains unit bringing a good improvment.
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...40#post1350240

Recently moved from Virgin media to BT for broadband,
    the BT router was proper "Fibre to the Home" and I found my online TV and Music services had a nice bump in quality over VM.

Lost of folks in Computeraudio land use linear power supplies for their router, and even "Audiophile" switches in their setup.
    My BT Router was plugged into the wall using the supplied switch power brick,
    me being me I got curious about improving the power supply for that too.

From back in the day I powered my Beresford Caiman dac (Stans suggestion) and later my music servers with Maplin's CB Radio linearpower supplies.
    Comes stock at 13.8V for CD radio's but theres a pot inside to let you dial down the voltage to 12V.

Had a couple of these kicking about still, so why not lose the crappy wallwart and use one to power the BT Router, fed directly from balanced mains?

Unfortunately the BT Router's DC barrel connector isn't a standard variant, and looking in to it was impossible to source, unless from America.
    So had to splice the existing connector onto the cable I was using to run from the router, through the wall and on to the Maplins supply hidden away in the next room.

Less than ideal, but is what it is and probably wont make a difference worth worrying about.
    (Obviously for safety, the connection was insulated and hidden out of view)

The cable I used was Mogami 3103,
    2 core 12GA OFC copper, a good solid cable with good specs.

A speaker cable actually, but 12GA cable can handle up to 20amps or so, and the router pulls about 1.5, so was fine.

Cable made up, connected to mains supply and all tested A-OK.

Connected to Balanced Mains\Maplins psu > BT Router and plugged in.

I've said for ages I found clean power gets the best out your Kit, and like the Pro-Ject phonostage, the supplied switchmode power brick was chucking all sorts of electrical mush into the Mix.

This was VERY worthwhile to do.
    Aside CDs and vinyl, all my music and video enters into my system through the BT Router?
    As this is my digital "source" my thinking was to reduce noise to that, to get improvements down the equipment chain?

And Yup, very much so.
    A Similar level of improvement to powering the Phonostage linear from the balanced mains.

Noticed it with Apple Music and even Radio Paradise right away, sounded better across the board.

Watching Movies too.
    On AppleTV theres a lot of 4K movies in my movie Library and the picture quality, in terms of resolution, contrast and sharpness, took a noticable jump.
    Was taken back a few times by it actually, a couple of "Eff Me...!" moments.
    It just looked much better and got very close to playing a 4K disc from my Oppo player.

Even YouTube looked better, with a sharper more dynamic picture.
    Sound was better watching TV too, everything was placed better and in its own space.

I've done this a few times now,
    And all these things are consistent with removing electrical noise from the line, letting the equipment better do its thing.

Good use of a couple of hours,
    Cost was £27 for 2m of mogami cable and my time.

Not bad!
    Systems took another wee nudge forward, so happy with that.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 16-07-2023 at 15:16.

I'm Alan.

Something I really must try out, I have a similar psu kicking about.

Good result.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Posted previouly about my Pro-Ject phonostage going linear powered from the balanced mains unit bringing a good improvment.
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...40#post1350240

Recently moved from Virgin media to BT for broadband,
    the BT router was proper "Fibre to the Home" and I found my online TV and Music services had a nice bump in quality over VM.

Lost of folks in Computeraudio land use linear power supplies for their router, and even "Audiophile" switches in their setup.
    My BT Router was plugged into the wall using the supplied switch power brick,
    me being me I got curious about improving the power supply for that too.

From back in the day I powered my Beresford Caiman dac (Stans suggestion) and later my music servers with Maplin's CB Radio linearpower supplies.
    Comes stock at 13.8V for CD radio's but theres a pot inside to let you dial down the voltage to 12V.

Had a couple of these kicking about still, so why not lose the crappy wallwart and use one to power the BT Router, fed directly from balanced mains?

Unfortunately the BT Router's DC barrel connector isn't a standard variant, and looking in to it was impossible to source, unless from America.
    So had to splice the existing connector onto the cable I was using to run from the router, through the wall and on to the Maplins supply hidden away in the next room.

Less than ideal, but is what it is and probably wont make a difference worth worrying about.
    (Obviously for safety, the connection was insulated and hidden out of view)

The cable I used was Mogami 3103,
    2 core 12GA OFC copper, a good solid cable with good specs.

A speaker cable actually, but 12GA cable can handle up to 20amps or so, and the router pulls about 1.5, so was fine.

Cable made up, connected to mains supply and all tested A-OK.

Connected to Balanced Mains\Maplins psu > BT Router and plugged in.

I've said for ages I found clean power gets the best out your Kit, and like the Pro-Ject phonostage, the supplied switchmode power brick was chucking all sorts of electrical mush into the Mix.

This was VERY worthwhile to do.
    Aside CDs and vinyl, all my music and video enters into my system through the BT Router?
    As this is my digital "source" my thinking was to reduce noise to that, to get improvements down the equipment chain?

And Yup, very much so.
    A Similar level of improvement to powering the Phonostage linear from the balanced mains.

Noticed it with Apple Music and even Radio Paradise right away, sounded better across the board.

Watching Movies too.
    On AppleTV theres a lot of 4K movies in my movie Library and the picture quality, in terms of resolution, contrast and sharpness, took a noticable jump.
    Was taken back a few times by it actually, a couple of "Eff Me...!" moments.
    It just looked much better and got very close to playing a 4K disc from my Oppo player.

Even YouTube looked better, with a sharper more dynamic picture.
    Sound was better watching TV too, everything was placed better and in its own space.

I've done this a few times now,
    And all these things are consistent with removing electrical noise from the line, letting the equipment better do its thing.

Good use of a couple of hours,
    Cost was £27 for 2m of mogami cable and my time.

Not bad!
    Systems took another wee nudge forward, so happy with that.
    Try plugging one of these in next to your hifi and you will be amazed. I was. You may be amazed at the price too!

https://chord.co.uk/product/poweraray-professional/
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Gary.

Hence my Post Alan.

Sometimes the small things make a big difference.
    This one... wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Something I really must try out, I have a similar psu kicking about.

Good result.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 16-07-2023 at 17:54.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Try plugging one of these in next to your hifi and you will be amazed. I was. You may be amazed at the price too!

https://chord.co.uk/product/poweraray-professional/

Happily,
    running all things Hifi balanced now (and knowing the 'science bit' behind it), I fart in that nonsense's general direction.

Dissapointed in Chord
    Mr Watt's... seriously?

(from experience.. knowing Me I'd probably take a Punt on it LOL)
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast