+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cornucopia of Cover Versions

Hahahaha!
    Yes, it is true!
    Just to retread the road and take another turn...
    Rock Island Line by Johnny Cash, in Mano Negra's Patchanka LP (1988)... for those who don't know this band this is a very famous french band from the late 80's early 90's who fused music from all around the world, singing in french, english, spanish and even arabic! Great band, this is where Manu Chao came from, for those who have heard (about) him...
    Last edited by Alex D; 29-05-2008 at 13:17.
    One is a sinner. One is a saint, but most of us worry about showing up late. Pete Townshend - Street in The City

BTW, does it have to be songs composed by the musician/band, or could we include signature songs? (I'm thinking, for example, of jazz singers, or in general when someone has appropriated a song and has made it his/her own)
    One is a sinner. One is a saint, but most of us worry about showing up late. Pete Townshend - Street in The City

I'm Stu.

Quote Originally Posted by aedagnino View Post
    Hahahaha!
    Yes, it is true!
    Just to retread the road and take another turn...
    Rock Island Line by Johnny Cash, in Mano Negra's Patchanka LP (1988)... for those who don't know this band this is a very famous french band from the late 80's early 90's who fused music from all around the world, singing in french, english, spanish and even arabic! Great band, this is where Manu Chao came from, for those who have heard (about) him...
    Must explore this band they sound really interesting!!n Thanks They sound a bit like Carre Manchot- who also fuse lots of traditional French with other world music-lots of African.
    Last edited by stupinder; 29-05-2008 at 13:47.

I'm ChrisB.

BTW, does it have to be songs composed by the musician/band, or could we include signature songs? (I'm thinking, for example, of jazz singers, or in general when someone has appropriated a song and has made it his/her own)
    Any reasonable connection is ok with me..........

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by stupinder View Post
    Who covered Pocahontis by Neil Young -all roads lead to Neil Young!
    .......Who covered "On Broadway" by the Drifters (on the album Freedom).............

I'm Stu.

Didn't they do a cover of white Christmas??? Which i'm sure will bring us back to Mr Young however circuitous a route it takes, I imagine Mr Bowie will get a look in somewhere along the line in the form of "I've been waiting for You" - ok I'll stop with the Neil Young thing now
    Last edited by stupinder; 29-05-2008 at 14:07.

Exclamation mmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by stupinder View Post
    Must explore this band they sound really interesting!!n Thanks They sound a bit like Carre Manchot- who also fuse lots of traditional French with other world music-lots of African.
    I haven't heard of Carre Manchot.... but I'd like to advise you before you explore Mano Negra (as I don't like to be the object of angry replies!), but they are firmly within the rock/pop genre, they even rap a couple of their songs... Manu Chao is gentler and uses a lot of reggae rhythms... I just wanted to advise you! BTW, I don't like rap in general (or specifically!) but this band is great, it definitely crossed boundaries.

I'm Stu.

I haven't heard of Carre Manchot.... but I'd like to advise you before you explore Mano Negra (as I don't like to be the object of angry replies!), but they are firmly within the rock/pop genre, they even rap a couple of their songs... Manu Chao is gentler and uses a lot of reggae rhythms... I just wanted to advise you! BTW, I don't like rap in general (or specifically!) but this band is great, it definitely crossed boundaries.
    No angersome replies from me - if i don't like something then i dont play it -but i do like to be exposed to new stuff.
    I dont mind Rap at all -got lots of it. I was in a reggae band years ago so love reggae and having had a bit of a look at Mano Negra thay also sound a bit punky which is again right up my street. Another French band well worth exploring are TRYO

Smile TRYO

yeah!
    My wife (we're from Chile) was at the Alliance Française school there so I mostly know french bands through her... and TRYO was one of the bands we heard a lot while along the way... that brings a nostalgic tear to my eyes I must say!

Cheers!

Alex

I'm Stu.

yeah!
    My wife (we're from Chile) was at the Alliance Française school there so I mostly know french bands through her... and TRYO was one of the bands we heard a lot while along the way... that brings a nostalgic tear to my eyes I must say!

Cheers!

Alex
    Reggae Akoustik is a very good album for anyone outhere wanting to give Tryo a bash - as its name implies acoustic reggae with a definitley French take!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12