+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QUAD II 40's - Anyone rate them?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm worried that Audio Note rip their clients off with their ludicrous and totally unrealistic prices - talk about "slurp..."

Me? not knowing Anthony's designs, I'd buy a Croft "R" set and smile happily through every music session...........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No,I think you can do very well at a lot less than you're willing to spend if you go for the WD stuff.Try the pre3 and the WD88 amp.WD stuff is very resellable,and you will get most of your money back.As for AN stuff,I like what I've heard,but it is pricey! Another good choice for amps would be the Glasshouse 300b from Hi-Fi Collective.This is designed by Andy Grove,who designs most of AN's stuff (or at least he used to,not sure if he still does)

As I said,you need to listen to both PP and SE to see which you prefer.The WD amp is PP,the Glasshouse is SE.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Or,I could put you in touch with someone who could build you a world-class valve amp if you don't mind diy.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi joe,
    there are plenty of good amps out there, performance wise a lot will depend on synergy between amp and speaker combination.
    picking a speaker with an even impedance [ as posible] over the entire audio frequency is a must with any valve amp.
    hope this helps.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Josie.

Many thanks for the advice. I was looking for something in a monoblock configuration but the AN on ebay is far too expensive. Ok, I'll take my time, I may go to Classique sounds, see what he has to offer, I've spoken to him before and he sounds like a nice chap.

DSJR, I've always been awair of Croft, so that should be on my list also.

Joe
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm invisible.

Here I go swimming against the tide again. I have a pair of 40s and love them. Have to say that I didnt pay retail for them though, got mine at about 1/2 that....they were less than a year old. Maybe there is better out there but I was after solidity and simplicity and wasnt prepared to compromise with a solid state rectifier. No intentions of selling them anytime soon...they're keepers.
    If only it was that simple

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I wouldn't say SS rectification is a compromise,depends on the amp.People always seem to see it as better though.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I never said that the 2-40's are bad amps, far from it, but they do seem to be priced retail at the maximum they feel they can get away with - made in China too I believe, so they'll be very cheap to import I suspect.........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    but they do seem to be priced retail at the maximum they feel they can get away with
    I would be interested to hear of any manufacturer that didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    made in China too I believe
    Lets face it....if we discounted far eastern manufacturing we wouldnt be able to buy anything. Theres nothing wrong with it as long as QA standards are met.
    If only it was that simple

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Many thanks for the advice. I was looking for something in a monoblock configuration but the AN on ebay is far too expensive. Ok, I'll take my time, I may go to Classique sounds, see what he has to offer, I've spoken to him before and he sounds like a nice chap.

DSJR, I've always been awair of Croft, so that should be on my list also.

Joe
    Monoblocks would be no problem if you had them made.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast