+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QUAD II 40's - Anyone rate them?

I'm Josie.

Default QUAD II 40's - Anyone rate them?

Hello,

has anyone had any experience with these amps? I'm looking for a new system and thinking of going in to valves.

Any help would be apprieciated.

Cheers
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Get either one of the better WD amps (ready made) or a Croft hybrid!!!!!

These Quads are very "nice," but I wouldn't say they're good value for money. They sell mainly to wealthy overseas clients who want a bit of nostalgic vintage brought up to date, rather than the dirty and possibly tired originals from 1960..

I don't know how much Anthony TD sells his products for, but I reckon the prices are comparable and I trust Marco when he says they're tons better than a squidgey old valve design.

Hell, I'd rather buy an old Radford for £1500, use a decent modern valve preamp and spend the difference on a re-build and some LP's/CD's..............

Perhaps I'm being unfair. It would be interesting to hear other peeps' opinions...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I've no heard them,but I'd say you could possibly do better for the money.Were you going to buy a new pair?

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi all,
    i service and repair these amps, IMHO you can do better!!! thats all i can and am willing to say profesionaly on the matter.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm David.

From my limited experience Anthony's advice is worth it's weight and his amps are worth more ...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Josie.

righto... sounds like a thumbs down. I heard them and although they sounded nice, I could not stop wondering why there is an awful lot for sale... for sometihng like this, I would have thought they would be top flight. Why are these amps not up to scratch I wonder?

Anyways, I'm thinking of going valve. I'm after an amp, pre amp and speakers... TD can you point me in a decent direction (and not Quad) - Do you sell your stuff and have a website?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How much are you looking at spending?

I'm Josie.

I'm looking in the region of 3.5k for the pre, amps and speakers

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Plenty scope there then! I think the first thing you need to decide is which you prefer-single-ended or push pull.This will dictate the speakers that would best match the amp.As for a pre,I'd go for the world-designs pre 3.This is a kit,but you can buy it built.It's superb,and the fact that it uses output transformers makes it immune to impedance mismatch,meaning it will work well with just about anything.

I'm Josie.

Hello Ali.

I was thinking of Audio Note as an option. I've been looking at New World stuff... I've not actually heard one of these amps before. Whats the verdict in general on this, are they good quality and re-sellable. I have to make sure I cover all bases you see.

There is some Audio note monoblocks on ebay at the moment, but they are about 3.5k - I think this is a little expensive but I might be wrong.

What I'm after is something that will give me a loud volume without distortion, plenty of bass, liquid mids and not too bright highs... maybe I should ask for ask the Queen to make me a cuppa along with this... Am I getting a little beyond myself at this budget with valve?

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast