+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Logitech Touch Experience

Got mine yesterday. Direct from Logitech for £220 delivered. Using a 15% discount code I found (LOGIDEAL15 - may still work).

Went in fine, moved a few bits around and moved the SB3 into the AV room

Didn't have time to really listen as had friends round for dinner, but it plays 24/96 from DVD-A fine - which was the trigger for buying it really - and the stuttering on the startup of 24/96 FLAC is reduced with hardwired Ethernet. I hope and assume they will fix this in future updates. I don't want to decode to PCM in my already overloaded ReadyNAS NV+.

Now, to find time to listen and play with Caiman opamps too...

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post
    Got mine yesterday. Direct from Logitech for £220 delivered. Using a 15% discount code I found (LOGIDEAL15 - may still work).
    Code should still work up to 23rd May - http://www.vouchercodes.com/vouchers...Fclr4wodD0amJA

Might still be able to get some items cheaper elsewhere though, so compare the discounted list price with the price from other sellers.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by trailer View Post
    No problem with the banter but I have been looking for some comparisons of the Touch against other streamers.

So far every thread seems to sidetrack into something not specific to the Touch or concerns the operation/set up of it. There's even a thread on the Logitech forum that just deteriorated into the usual slagging match about cables.

I was really looking forward to seeing how the Touch compares against the competition but so far not too much comment.
    I think some of the most useful comments about the Touch at the Logitech Forum came from the Beta Testers. These are very experienced listeners, most have good systems, and a couple of them even do things like build DACs - so they have a big basis for comparison.

The general opinion seemed to be that the Touch is superior to all the earlier SB devices except for the Transporter (which is being phased out). Both analogue and digital output.

As far as being a digital source only, there was general agreement that the Touch was very close to the quality of the Transporter. A couple of the Beta Testers even said that if your goal is only to use an SB device as a digital Transport, they would definitely go with the Touch and not the Transporter, as the quality is very close, and the price difference is significant. One Beta Tester even said he doubts in blind testing that listeners could consistently pick out the Touch vs the Transporter as digital transports.
    Danny.

I'm Hansen.

The most interesting feature of the Touch to me is using it as a USB HDD music player.

Apparently you can connect connect the Touch to a self powered USB hub like this:
    http://www2.elecom.co.jp/cable/usb-h...z10s/index.asp
    and connect numerous USB storage devices to it.

The Touch will work as a server/player so there is no need to have a computer or NAS to steam to it. Anyone tried this?

Hansen

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have a drobo connected via USB to mine.Works fine usually.

I'm Hansen.

I have to research further factors such as the maximum size of the usb storage devices and the limitations of using the Touch in this method.

If the Touch, as a server, can handle a series of 1TB (or larger) hard disks well - then the price would be well worth it to me as all my cds are ripped and the physical discs stored away. The only use I have for the network function is probably for internet radio, which i listen to occasionally.

Hansen
    Hansen Chew

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I've bought a Guruplug to run SC on,so file size will not be an issue in the future.Should get it in about 3 weeks-

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.c...guruplugs.aspx

It's the Plus version I've gone for.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Also means I can try the Audiophile tweaks suggested at Slimforums.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I've bought a Guruplug to run SC on,so file size will not be an issue in the future.Should get it in about 3 weeks-

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.c...guruplugs.aspx

It's the Plus version I've gone for.
    Have you got your hands on it yet Ali ?

If you're up and running with it, how well does it cope, and can you access internet radio via the iPlayer on Squeezebox Server - the R3 320kbps AAC streams sound very good indeed, although BBC broadcasts in general sound very good off the 'net.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nope,still delayed Chris,while they mod them to stop the overheating issues.They are hard to get hold of,only answering when you send a nasty mail.Doesn't inspire confidence!

They said they will be shipping shortly,though I'll believe it when I see it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456