+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wide Band, Single (Almost) speaker. What a difference my new speakers make

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Hi Peter,
    There's definately something about full-range or wide-band speakers isn't there? They seem to have a coherence that multi-driver speakers lack.I have a pair of MLTL's with Fostex Fe167e's and FT17h supertweeter driven via an adjustable l-pad,which will be used for AV in the finished system once I have the direct-coupled amps.I do like them,and swop between these and the statics as mood dictates.
    Hi Ali

I have been thinking about purchasing some super tweeters for my Brines MLTL Fe167e speakers. Did you notice a marked improvement?

I bought some really cheap piezo tweeters a while back to play with and they sounded awful. Only a fiver each so what did I expect

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes,there was an improvement.Good thing about fitting with an L-pad is you can adjust the tweeter level to taste.I used FT17H,but something like the- F40 is it?-would be even better,but they are more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yes,there was an improvement.Good thing about fitting with an L-pad is you can adjust the tweeter level to taste.I used FT17H,but something like the- F40 is it?-would be even better,but they are more expensive.
    Hi

Yes...I used a pair of l-pads and only needed to turn them slightly. Do you fire the tweeters towards the listener or to the rear wall? And have you mounted them into the main cabinet or a separate case?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Well if you get the FT17h's,you could try them on top of the cabinet to see what you think initially,but the ideal is to have the tweeter as close to the driver as you can.I too use the Fe167e,and found I was listening at -4 to -5 on the L-pad.I mounted mine as near to the driver and the inside edge as I could,creating a handed pair of speakers,but you could just mount them in the centre of the baffle,I doubt it makes any practical difference.

I'm Jerry.

I like the look of these speakers. Are they suitable for use in a small room and can they be placed near a wall ? What are they like at reproducing a soundstage?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I like the look of these speakers. Are they suitable for use in a small room and can they be placed near a wall ? What are they like at reproducing a soundstage?
    Do you mean the Audium's ? I've never been that concerned about soundstage but the music is not restricted to the speakers. What I mean is that the musicians appear to be playing in their own space which is not constrained by the speakers. Now as to pin point location within this sound field, I'm not sure that I'd want to claim that, but I've been watching music TV, like One Shot Not, a kind of Jools Holland thing on French and German TV, and I've been presently surpised by how the out of image player appear to be well placed.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.