+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cambridge Dacmagic with Heart/Marantz CD?

I'm notAlone.

Like you, Ian, I doubt the guys at Heart Audio got into the trouble of a NOS tube modification for nothing, most probably the result is already superb.
    Last edited by Themis; 16-04-2010 at 12:45.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Pete.

Took some pictures of the inside, don't really know too much about linking to photobucket but have done my best.
    Hope you know what you are looking at
    Last edited by phoenixpete; 16-04-2010 at 22:06. Reason: link to photobucket opens all my photo's,and they are now in the thread anyway.
    Pete.

Main amp is an Electrocompaniat eci2 Sony qs930 cd, Sony tuner,Stan dac,modified x10d with little pinkie se and of course Quad esl57s fully serviced with much better legs and widgets. Sometimes swap to my kef reference 3s or Rogers pro9 Tls.

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Hi Pete!

Had a quick look! if you want to embed picture from photobucket just paste the code from the IMG Code box for each image into the post and it will do this!

Looking at the picture, the differntial output from the dacs gets directed to the valve stage on the ribbon towards the middle/right of the main pcb. This is before it goes through the original opamp summing stage (which appears to have the opamps removed!) and final HDAM buffer. its not easy to see where the valve stage outputs back to the main pcb (the other ribbon appears to be psu for the valve stage).

Its possible that the whole original cd output stage is replaced by the valves or it could return to the main pcb under the board.

The final DC blocking caps are also removed from the main pcb so the dc blocking must be done on the valve stage.

All in all, it leasa me to suggest that the CD6000 with the mods will be extremely good on its own. Even if you don't understand the techy stuff, the prices should point you in the right direction. the cost of the cd6000 with heart mods is prob 3 times the cost of a dacmagic? Also, i'd be really tempted to try some different valves. I used golden dragon valves in my 1st quadII amps and later upgraded to something different (don't recal what they were!) and it transformed the sound.

Again let your ears decide but i'd expect the 6000 to sound very good!
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

added a few tags to the picture to assist with identification of the various areas!!!

and I also found this review!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazin...eartcd6000.htm

reading the review, the whole output stage is replaced with a transformer/valve combination.

Ian

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Pete,have you tried both,and do you prefer the cd player with the Dacmagic? Like the others,I'd be surprised if the Dacmagic was better then the player on it's own.

I'm Pete.

Only very recently got the dacmagic,looked at loads of others including the Caimain and some of the Chinese ones on ebay,As I didn't need a headphone amp or volume control and wasn't sure about the Chinese ones as some were upsampling and some non oversampling I chose the Cambridge as it has digital out so I can connect my CD recorder and also XLR connection to keep my DEQ in line, also I was told the Wolfson chips were very good.

When I listened to the system with the dacmagic connected the music just seemed to come alive with a lot more energy and presence than before and the bass was much tighter and more defined (seemed a bit like just one bass note before).
    It has definately perked up the sound, is this something to do with the "upsampling" technology?

P.S.
    UV101
    Can you tell me what that is under your CD player in your avatar? the black and chrome Amp??
    Looks gorgeous.
    Last edited by phoenixpete; 16-04-2010 at 22:13.
    Pete.

Main amp is an Electrocompaniat eci2 Sony qs930 cd, Sony tuner,Stan dac,modified x10d with little pinkie se and of course Quad esl57s fully serviced with much better legs and widgets. Sometimes swap to my kef reference 3s or Rogers pro9 Tls.

Hi Pete, Thats a little suprising!

Maybe there are no mods to the digital section on the 6000 then and I'd suspect that better old school valves would make a significant difference. I'd be itching to swap out some caps on the psu and better components in the signal path before that Heart output stage.

In the mode you are using the player, it will be identical to using a CD67 but without the CD text you get on the 6000!

I'm fairly certain it would massivley outperform the external DAC with a few more tweeks

The amp in my avatar is my Restek Fantasy amp (modded of course!!!) It needed to be good because it replaced my bespoke chromed quadII's I built and then sold in a moment of madness!!!!

Robbed these from the net. There are a couple of versions about with varying amounts of chrome and black glass but this one is identical to mine

Found some pics other pics HERE
    Ian

I'm Pete.

Wow
    That is a thing of beauty, looks just as fab on the inside.

Your chrome quad IIs look great too.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixpete View Post
    Wow
    That is a thing of beauty, looks just as fab on the inside.

Your chrome quad IIs look great too.
    Thank you

Was a real shame I let those quads go I posted it in the "confess all and clense your soul" thread too! was a really stupid thing to have done. Never mind, the Retek is awesome!!!!

Ian
    Ian

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Hi Pete,

Interesting, if you prefer the DacMagic it maybe worth selling the Heart on , with what you make from the Heart you could buy a better transport, it seems a waste using this cdp with modded output stage used purely as a transport.

I've played around with a few CD63 and 6000 players and in all honesty they require a lot of work and expense to get them decent, just my opinion
    Looking at the Heart the only advantages it has over the stock CD6000 is mainly the output section which you now won't be using
    Cheers,
    Leo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast