+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodmans and Eico

Ali, by open baffle do you mean mounting the drivers on a baffle board, but without any "box" behind them? Sounds doable enough... I guess the bass is OK this way? Not too much dipole, out of phase cancelation?
    Randy.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes indeed.Bass can be very good,and OB's can be a lot more room independent than box speakers.The size of the baffle and position of the driver is important for correct response though.

I had an HF-81 integrated amp. It was warm and sweet. I used it with a Dynaco FM-3 tuner, an AR XA with a low mass fluid damped unipivot tonearm with a vintage Shure V15, and vintage horn loaded Jensen K-310 coaxial drivers. The Jensen drivers might sound similar to the Goodmans fullrange.

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Jensen/sheet152-3.jpg

I loved that system. I may still have the original HF-81 assembly and test manual. It's probably one of the best EL84 integrated amps. My first tube amp was a Fairchild. The Eico was my second amp and the first one I restored. I wish I still had it and the Jensen speakers. I think the HF-81 is known to pair well with Quads.
    Last edited by lebob; 20-07-2010 at 01:27.
    BOB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12