+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from Bedford.

I'm Pete.

The crabs are fine you get used to them and they become your friends

The amp is one of Simon's with a little input from me (woodwork,paint etc')
    Just changed the copper nuts on the front and back to something a little better looking.
    I think power output is around 22-24 watts set, with U19 rectifiers and now a huge approx 12" x 3" x3" paper in oil capacitor that was so big he had to mount it on the top of the amp and fit the metal cage, you can probably just make it out in the pic.
    Amp wheighs around 50kg's

That picture with the quads in is a little out of date, they are now just about 3' 6" from the back wall and I have made some blocks to raise them off the floor by another 6" and tilted forward so they are very nearly vertical as I found when sitting down, the sound just went straight over my head when they were on the floor using the little feet as normal.
    They are about as good as I can get them in that room really.

As for my taste in music, most stuff really, especially Pink floyd,little feat, cream,Hendrix,nils lofgren, and modern chill out type tunes,ministry of sound stuff, tecno even some Classical like Holst the planets,Moussorgsky and the Tomita copy's of them.

Pete.
    Pete.

Main amp is an Electrocompaniat eci2 Sony qs930 cd, Sony tuner,Stan dac,modified x10d with little pinkie se and of course Quad esl57s fully serviced with much better legs and widgets. Sometimes swap to my kef reference 3s or Rogers pro9 Tls.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixpete View Post
    The crabs are fine you get used to them and they become your friends

The amp is one of Simon's with a little input from me (woodwork,paint etc')
    Just changed the copper nuts on the front and back to something a little better looking.
    I think power output is around 22-24 watts set, with U19 rectifiers and now a huge approx 12" x 3" x3" paper in oil capacitor that was so big he had to mount it on the top of the amp and fit the metal cage, you can probably just make it out in the pic.
    Amp wheighs around 50kg's

That picture with the quads in is a little out of date, they are now just about 3' 6" from the back wall and I have made some blocks to raise them off the floor by another 6" and tilted forward so they are very nearly vertical as I found when sitting down, the sound just went straight over my head when they were on the floor using the little feet as normal.
    They are about as good as I can get them in that room really

As for my taste in music, most stuff really, especially Pink Floyd, Little Feat, Cream, Hendrix, Nils Lofgren, and modern chill out type tunes,ministry of sound stuff, tecno even some Classical like Holst the planets,Moussorgsky and the Tomita copy's of them.

Pete.
    Wow! 20 watts - they do live up to their intended design as transmitter valves.

That's good - would seem you are doing all you can to get the best out of the Quad 57s. When the speakers were designed back in the '50s, domestic easy chairs were higher.

Tastes in music? No problems there. Don't be coy about enjoying classical - there are many who were introduced to classical music through the likes of Keith Emerson, Tomita, Walter (later Wendy) Carlos, Curved Air etc. Music only comes in two catagories: good or bad!

Regards
    Last edited by Barry; 15-04-2010 at 22:47. Reason: punctuation
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Music only comes in two catagories: good or bad!
    Have to disagree there Barry - no such thing as good or bad music - there is only music you like or don't like...

Welcome Pete, you should enjoy the forum, usually a lot of fun.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Have to disagree there Barry - no such thing as good or bad music - there is only music you like or don't like...

Welcome Pete, you should enjoy the forum, usually a lot of fun.
    Hmm! Could be a the start of new discussion thread - or are you allowing for minor peccadillos, as prompted in my thread: 'Skeletons in the cupboard' (or some such title)?

What do other members think?

Regards

PS Alex, you didn't comment on my post concerning the Tesco 2007 Medoc 'Signeur D'Albret'. Not to your taste?
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    PS Alex, you didn't comment on my post concerning the Tesco 2007 Medoc 'Signeur D'Albret'. Not to your taste?
    Duly nudged I'll try and do an update over there Barry - been very busy with work and away for a few days so trying to catch up on the posts.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Duly nudged I'll try and do an update over there Barry - been very busy with work and away for a few days so trying to catch up on the posts.
    Understood Alex. Would be interested in your opinion (if you have one) of the Tesco vin de table (pace Marco!): 'Maison de Michel' and 'Maison de Charlotte'.

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12