+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Croft s7 or KEL84 as power amp ?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not saying he did,just that I've never heard one I preferred over a valve output stage.

I'm Dave.

I'm enjoying Croft's Series 7 and the 7R more than I did his previous designs. Even his OTL's sound a touch fuzzier and vague in comparison to the new offerings. I wasn't all that enthusiastic about a hybrid amp but I soon forgot my reservations when it was fired up.

Glenn is a tube man through and through, so there must be a good reason for him designing the new hybrid amps. For me it's all about the sound.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Me too.I'd be interested in hearing them.

I'm Dave.

If you ever find yourself in NW Essex, just give me a ring. You can hear your Accuphase through it...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Not saying he did,just that I've never heard one I preferred over a valve output stage.
    The s7 is a mosfet hybrid right ? I always fancied the Fusion 300B Hybrid that Brian sells at diyHS. Switchable from pure 300B to 50W mosfet driven by the 300B. Trouble is 300B tubes are not cheap now esp good ones like the TJ's.

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/catalog/32

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Thanks Dave! Is the tuner ok btw? David,I'm effectively running a hybrid at the moment,namely a WAD Pre 2 and this Tripath amp,which does about 40w/8 ohms.Sounds very good!

I'm Attila.

i used ol' Glenn's GCi Integrated, factory upgraded version, for a year and i then believed that truly outclassed my ol' Audio Innovations S300 Mk II and S400 Mk I amps. recently i re-connected the AI S400 and though there were 'limitations' to the 'hi-fi sound', the valves did definitely their magic - and now i am using again those magical glowing tubes despite their lower output and lesser-behaving bass... go figure
    i am aware though that referred GCi was a 'compromised' model from Glenn's 'black' era - however, it truly ashamed a lot of, and much pricey, SS deigns, and it was cheered to be a giant killer of the time, plus was later tailored (much closer) by Glenn to his sonics 'standard'... so, what i am about to say is that for one the kel84 may be suited better to his own hearing and preferences in music, thus, a listen should be a must before the purchase...
    Attila

save the trees - eat beavers

I'm notAlone.

The S7 is a killer amp. The only power amp under £1000 (I've tried about 15 different ones) that can handle my Sonus Faber in all situations without sweating while keeping them sweet and extremely detailed. As they are.

The "immediateness" of this amp is simply stunning ! You can't have better percussion and/or electric guitar sound than with this one ! I won't even mention the usual acoustic instruments...
    The only one that came close, was a Perreaux E1.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    The S7 is a killer amp. The only power amp under £1000 (I've tried about 15 different ones) that can handle my Sonus Faber in all situations without sweating while keeping them sweet and extremely detailed. As they are.

The "immediateness" of this amp is simply stunning ! You can't have better percussion and/or electric guitar sound than with this one ! I won't even mention the usual acoustic instruments...
    The only one that came close, was a Perreaux E1.
    The one thing I really picked up on with my Series 7 was electric rhythm guitar. The sounds on Genesis' 'We Can't Dance' are absolutely atonishing with Mike Rutherford's rhythm guitar sounding so bloody real. This amplifier is truly astonishing and the only one I remember coming very close in the SS stakes was Musical Fidelity's Dr Thomas.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

SSSHHHHH! - They'll all want one...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12