+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pioneer DV737 in need of a little love...

synsei Guest

Default Pioneer DV737 in need of a little love...

A while back I took a punt on one of these players but unfortunately it is just about unusable due to a couple of issues. Firstly the drive tray returns back into the machine when ejected and also when playing disks it sounds as if there is a teeny, tiny saw mill going at it full chat inside the cabinet. These problems are beyond my skill to fix so I was wondering if some kind person could look at it for me to see what might be needed to return it to functionality? If you choose to accept this mission please PM me.... This tape will self-destruct in five seconds...

I'm Neil.

That'd be affecting the sound quality too. Sorry I can't help to fix, but I do have 4x 717s (same player without better video) that I could dig out when am doing my next project in which case I'd be happy to send it. Alternatively I have an unused working DV-505 (tad less refined than the 717/737 that you could try to see if you like the sound!).

Gut feeling is it has issues with the servo and transport, but replacing / repairing would cost the same as a fully working one from eBay. Having said this when I've had issues with the Pioneers it's down to capacitors rather than outright replacement of mechanisms…!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Andrew.

It does play then despite making this noise? I shall do some research...

I'm Andrew.

Does it make the noise with all types of disc? Cd and dvd for instance.
    It sounds as if the laser isn't tracking right which would be a case of adjusting a variable resistor to get it back in the right spot.
    If that is the case it may also point to the cause of the tray issue as well.
    If one vr is out of whack then it may be that two are.

synsei Guest

It does play and sounds pretty good too, although it is not a patch on my Arcam CD72. Plenty of peeps have mentioned that it should be bettering the Arcam significantly so it does sound as if all is not well. When playing it will randomly skip as if the disk is dirty or scratched, even on CD's which are flawless, it will also occasionally fail to read a CD.

That'd be affecting the sound quality too. Sorry I can't help to fix, but I do have 4x 717s (same player without better video) that I could dig out when am doing my next project in which case I'd be happy to send it. Alternatively I have an unused working DV-505 (tad less refined than the 717/737 that you could try to see if you like the sound!).
    I would be most grateful if you could spare a 717 Neil. Let me know nearer the time and we can discuss monies...

Does it make the noise with all types of disc? Cd and dvd for instance.
    It sounds as if the laser isn't tracking right which would be a case of adjusting a variable resistor to get it back in the right spot.
    If that is the case it may also point to the cause of the tray issue as well.
    If one vr is out of whack then it may be that two are.
    That's interesting Andrew although I wouldn't have the faintest idea what to adjust, I think I'd rather leave this to someone who knows what they are doing as I have a propensity to kill stuff when I attempt to fix it...

I'm Andrew.

Have you put a dvd in and does it make the same or any noise? Trying to diagnose this before I hazard a guess as to whether or not I can fix it Dave.
    As a side note, what colour is it?

I'm James.

When it skips does it skip forward or back ?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    I believe the purple ones are particularly troublesome.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Have you put a dvd in and does it make the same or any noise? Trying to diagnose this before I hazard a guess as to whether or not I can fix it Dave.
    It's packed away just now, I will dig it out tomorrow and try it with a DVD...

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    When it skips does it skip forward or back ?
    Forwards I think James, again I will try this again when I have dug it out tomorrow...

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I believe the purple ones are particularly troublesome.

Marco.
    Good one. I sense a potential addition to my stable Marco hence my question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast