+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is the quality of tonearm rca cables?

I'm colin.

Default How important is the quality of tonearm rca cables?

Bit of a cable thread here so my apologies before hand
    Im looking at tonearm cables to connect my jelco arm to my preamp and as usual in the world of hi fi their is differing opinions. If you are using a MM cartridge it doesnt seem to be as important an issue as moving coil so im wondering if i can get away with a modest priced interconnect with some basic shielding?

I'm David.

i think this has come up before with jelco cables... i think dave c says you have nothing to worry about in terms of its quality, and would need to spend a hell of a lot to better it ... i might be wrong but, im sure i read that somewhere
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

MartinT Guest

The Neglex cables are natural partners for Jelco arms and sound mighty fine.

I'm colin.

To be honest Hamish i was thinking the jelco was a bit to high end to me. Audio engineers rate neglex highly in terms of RF rejection and they look beautifully made, but i guess im just being a cheap skate and im struggling to set funds aside to get my arm done. God knows ive waited long enough!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi Colin

Well the neglex is around £80 or so ! J7 does some Van Damme one's at £55 but i personally wouldn't skimp on the cable its a false economy .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm colin.

And then another 80 for a quality armboard. No more record shopping for me for a while i guess. Very difficult when you live in central London.
    I have had bad experiences with cable buying in the past. I spent a small fortune on Chord cabling and was very disappointed. Good to hear your endorsements though and i appreciate it.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi Colin if its any comfort its not that much better here ! just had my Gas and leccy Bil
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm colin.

Sorry to hear that Chris. At the moment ive got Capital One phoning me up asking "whats in your wallet?" And the answers not very much im afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Sorry to hear that Chris. At the moment ive got Capital One phoning me up asking "whats in your wallet?" And the answers not very much im afraid.
    Watch out if you get a call saying: "What connected to your turntable?".

I bought some very nice looking interconnects made by AR. They were really video connect cables and sound as good as any I have heard. I got them from a Dollar and More store for a little over a pound each.

I wouldn't waste a lot of money expensive cables with phony claims, it's snake oil IMO.
    Last edited by Hypnotoad; 13-04-2010 at 21:37.
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

MC cartridges aren't so bothered about cable length or capacitance, but it's still better to keep them as short as reasonably possible IMO.

MM cartridges are sensitive to cable capacitance and hum pickup amongst other things IIRC.

Now, regarding "bought" tonearm interconnects, I made up a Cardas mini-din socket to inexpensive neutric/Rean phono's using van damme pro-patch mic cables (same as Audio Origami use) and some heat-shrink, connecting the drain at the phono plugs and the four inner cores (plus a separate earth wire) to the cardas socket. Total cost was £15 or so and my soldering was just up to doing a neat job (I bottled out on the arm fitting and hifi dave did this for me).

Sort of makes £100 related wires a bit over-priced, although the cable that Jelco use may cost rather more to justify the £80+ they charge on ebay.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast