+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Isolating digital equipment etc (Mains Power).

I'm Dave.

Default Isolating digital equipment etc (Mains Power).

I've seen a couple of people mention that isolating digital equipment like CD players, DAC's etc from analogue equipment like valve amps etc can yield some sonic benefits.

I was wondering what the criteria were for this. Is it just equipment that has switched mode PSU's that should be isolated or should digital equipment running of linear PSU's also be isolated? Also, are there other things in addition to these that should be taken into account? I'm just trying to get an idea of the full picture.

Cheers.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

There was a tendancy for multi-bit CD players (the infamous TDA1541 era) to spray all sorts from their outputs. It could be ultra-sonic Naim/Quad filter-killing mush (the Quad 66 was actually quite a good player, just not into a Quad amp that's all... It could also be rf down the signal screens affecting things in certain amps.

Any mains filter worth its salt needs to be rated 10 times higher than the source component it's used with (Ben Duncan suggested this in HFN and I confirmed it with listening to a few). It certainly worked for me and I have a small number of Roxburgh 6A filters (Chord Clearways at 1/4 the price) in use still on the source components, although they make beggar all difference here.

These days, there shouldn't be a huge problem, apart from SA-CD players with loads of signal noise at 20 - 40KHz as part of their "thang," and people like Naim have improved their tone controls - sorry, filters - as well..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

Thanks Dave. Are THESE the Roxburgh filters you have?

Cheers.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFidelityGuy View Post
    Thanks Dave. Are THESE the Roxburgh filters you have?

Cheers.
    Yep, they're the ones I use, one per item, the Chord version putting a 13A rubber socket where the IEC is on the Roxburgh.. two of these transformed a Karik III/Numerik III IMO, the clarity, 3-D, ease and "tunefulness" improving a lot I thought.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Yep, they're the ones I use, one per item, the Chord version putting a 13A rubber socket where the IEC is on the Roxburgh.. two of these transformed a Karik III/Numerik III IMO, the clarity, 3-D, ease and "tunefulness" improving a lot I thought.
    Thanks.
    So what type of devices should you use these types of filters with and do they affect dynamics if used with power amps?

Cheers.

I'm David.

Where's Anthonytd when you need him... He has some pretty clever things to say in this area!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    Where's Anthonytd when you need him... He has some pretty clever things to say in this area!
    Ah yes, I've heard he has some new mains related products. I'd certainly be interested in finding out more about them if they can help in this area. I'll send him a PM to see if he can provide some input.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi all,
    mains filters are becoming more and more a nescesity rather than a luxury these day, unfortunetly as some of you have experienced they do compromise dynamics and perceived soundstage in some systems depending on the type of filter and where in the chain they are used!
    i have used a design in my system for around 5 years now and am very happy with its results over-all.
    what you have to understand is all mains filters wether they be passive [the type i use] or regenerative will have their benefits and drawbacks [dont let anyone tell you diffrent] what i have strived for is the best compromise which is passive but using the right type and value of components in an effort to just to remove the problems without going over-board resulting in a described "sat on sound" by many who have tried certain types in the past.
    also, once you have a clean free from spikes and high frequency hash mains supply you have to make sure that any part of your kit is not going to spoil that by crapping noise of its own all over it again! CD players and anything with a DAC in it are prime examples.
    i hope this helps.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Dave.

Thanks Anthony, your input on this is much appreciated.

So do your filters work in both directions, stopping interference getting to the connected device and also stopping interference generated in the device from seeping back into the mains?

Thanks.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFidelityGuy View Post
    Thanks Anthony, your input on this is much appreciated.

So do your filters work in both directions, stopping interference getting to the connected device and also stopping interference generated in the device from seeping back into the mains?

Thanks.
    hi dave,
    the new versions i have done are two stage and have multiple outlets which seperate [as far as noise is concerned] each piece of kit pluged in to it. also it being a two stage hence using a primary filter that is common to all, it is very affective at stopping noise being injected back into the mains supply.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast