+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's one for dealers

I'm Steve.

Joe

I think we have all been there!

There is always the 'dance' involved when seeking to form a relationship with any new dealer.

The bad ones will give themselves away by some of the tricks you mention plus displays of sheer arrogance, rudeness and disinterest.

If this is your experience, then walk away and keep trying until you find a dealer who is also an enthusiast and interested in getting you to where you want to go.

It is a two-way street though and we as customers should be prepared to demonstrate that we are serious purchasers and not just 'tyre kickers' out to waste the time of someone who has a living to make.

If we fail to support dealers they will eventually disappear, along with the opportunity to benefit from their experience, knowhow and access to some really good gear!
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

Talking of dealers Steve I see a lot from the AudioWorks/Blade portfolio in your system. Those guys are really shit-hot and were actually an inspiration in starting this forum.

Do you have the Reflex block? Personally I think this is a must. The very best dealers actually make some of their own gear.
    It might seem wise to use MW gear such as the block in conjunction with all their other ancilliaries - stands etc but the block works well in any system capable of carrying a tune and brings it to life.

Hey, it even works in Marco's scaffolded system

Another view from the other side, but also from someone who has been at the pre-sales support end of many computer / network / internet purchases for too many years.

As a customer I am willing to pay a premium to someone who has the patience and knowledge to help me make the right decision - and the converse is also true, waste my time and you get blacklisted, never to see my money. The trouble is that I am in a minority. There are a few of us but are there enough to keep a whole retail industry going ? I agree with Steve's conjecture about help now buys solid business later, but the problem again is that this is a very small consumer base

The problem I can see is that of the set of potential customers that would have the commitment to bring future business back to you divided into sub groups; (1) Anyone who is serious into this game (or any "hobby") is more likely not to want or need direct help as they want to advance their own knowledge and experience - or thinks they know what they are doing and would feel insulted with offers of help, (2) People who are likely to appreciate help with a setup may include those who don't necessarily know what they buying or have received (usually incorrect) advice from uncle / nephew etc. like happens with PCs. (3) Then there is that small set of newly inducted folks who want more from their music but can't afford much right now are a good bet and hopefully still a growing market.

I expect the most important skill here is not audio knowledge but learning to sort the wheat from the chaff

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Twenty five to thirty years ago, the footfall through the better audio shops waxs good enough to deal with ALL kinds of client, as the time-wasters made up so few of the people in the shop. When I went to Northampton in 1998, the dem-diary was full all week, but after my two years on the road and my subsequent part-time return, the diary was almost empty apart for a few service calls. The boss saw the end and let it die a slow death...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Talking of dealers Steve I see a lot from the AudioWorks/Blade portfolio in your system. Those guys are really shit-hot and were actually an inspiration in starting this forum.

Do you have the Reflex block? Personally I think this is a must. The very best dealers actually make some of their own gear.
    It might seem wise to use MW gear such as the block in conjunction with all their other ancilliaries - stands etc but the block works well in any system capable of carrying a tune and brings it to life.

Hey, it even works in Marco's scaffolded system
    I did try the MusicWorks Reflex block when I first exchanged my Nordost Valhalla cable loom for MIT/MusicWorks cables.

I agree it is a very good product and my only objections to it were based on purely aesthetic grounds - I could not get on with mains cables exiting the block in all directions and forming an (to me) unsightly 'octopus' of cabling.

I was introduced to the Vertex Elbrus balanced PSU by my dealer and this is a much neater prospect for dealing with cable management and has some very important extras thrown in which I feel benefit my system over the MusicWorks block.

The three balanced outputs allow me to isolate my digital components from the rest of the system and the Elbrus also in corporates passive filtering (2 x Silver Jayas) and vibration reduction elements which help every component connected to it. There are also two unlimited outlets for connecting power amps which are unsuitable for the balanced outputs.

As a matter of interest, I have the Reflex block in circuit at the moment for a two week evaluation of the David Berning Preamp and Quadrature monoblocs along with a full complement of the latest MusicWorks ReVive mains cables (full report + pictures to follow)
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

Reflex block plus Anthony filter for digital sources plugged into the block is a good combination.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
    I did try the MusicWorks Reflex block when I first exchanged my Nordost Valhalla cable loom for MIT/MusicWorks cables.

I agree it is a very good product and my only objections to it were based on purely aesthetic grounds - I could not get on with mains cables exiting the block in all directions and forming an (to me) unsightly 'octopus' of cabling.

I was introduced to the Vertex Elbrus balanced PSU by my dealer and this is a much neater prospect for dealing with cable management and has some very important extras thrown in which I feel benefit my system over the MusicWorks block.

The three balanced outputs allow me to isolate my digital components from the rest of the system and the Elbrus also in corporates passive filtering (2 x Silver Jayas) and vibration reduction elements which help every component connected to it. There are also two unlimited outlets for connecting power amps which are unsuitable for the balanced outputs.

As a matter of interest, I have the Reflex block in circuit at the moment for a two week evaluation of the David Berning Preamp and Quadrature monoblocs along with a full complement of the latest MusicWorks ReVive mains cables (full report + pictures to follow)
    Ahah!
    Now this should be interesting. Looking forward to the report. Should imagine the full wacko could be painful on the wallet
    Robin.

STUFF: Nagra cdc, Karan pre, darTZeel power, Magico V2 speakers, all connected with wire.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by monya View Post
    Ahah!
    Now this should be interesting. Looking forward to the report. Should imagine the full wacko could be painful on the wallet
    I'm already searching down the back of the sofas for any loose change!
    Steve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12