+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early onset of OCD?

Quote Originally Posted by goraman View Post
    Don't sweat it till you start calling you stereo "MY PRECIOUS".
    I can't see that ever happening - I seem to be constantly at war with mine
    Martin.

Sony XA20ES -> Cambridge Dac Magic -> Quad 99 pre amp -> Quad 909 Power amp -> Mission 753 Freedom. ICs - Cable Talk Broadcast, Speaker Cable - Cable Talk 4.1 Bi wire.

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Recently I've noticed that when I return a CD to its jewel case, I deliberately arrange the disc so that the lettering is horizontal. Before I would simply clip it in 'any old fashion'. Of course it makes no difference at all; I don't go to the same trouble in putting LPs back in their sleeves (yet!).

What's going on here - is it a simple matter of aesthetics, or am I developing an obsesive compulsive disorder?

Do other members have any little quirks associated with playing recordings or with the operation of their audio systems?

Regards
    When I clean a record with my carbon-fibre brush, I always earth my other hand to the earth binding point on the amp.
    PLEASE CALL ME GREZ!

Manticore Mantra TT circa 1986 c/w Linn Basik+ Arm and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge; Cyrus CD8SE CD player 2009; Onix OA-21 amplifier circa 1985; Celestion DL4 speakers, 1985; Apollo Speaker Stands 1987; Sound Organisation Rack 1992.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Recently I've noticed that when I return a CD to its jewel case, I deliberately arrange the disc so that the lettering is horizontal. Before I would simply clip it in 'any old fashion'. Of course it makes no difference at all; I don't go to the same trouble in putting LPs back in their sleeves (yet!).

What's going on here - is it a simple matter of aesthetics, or am I developing an obsesive compulsive disorder?

Do other members have any little quirks associated with playing recordings or with the operation of their audio systems?

Regards
    Nah. Half the time I don't even bother putting CDs back in their cases or LPs in their sleeves. There's a copy of Ry Cooder's 'Into The Purple Valley' that became separated from its sleeve a couple of years back and now I can't find either the sleeve or the record!

I'm Dave.

I tend to be quite OCD about things I have passion for and then the complete opposite about other stuff. So I make sure all my CD's are straight in their cases and keep all my gear clean and tidy as much as possible. Each bit of kit is fastidiously lined up, spaced out and symmetrically positioned and I spend hours thinking through how to wire everything to get the optimum balance of cable lengths and positioning etc. On the flip side I could quite happily live in a shit heap of a house without so much as a single piece of furniture other than a single chair to sit in while I listen to my pristine Hi-Fi. Luckily my wife manages to balance me out and I do have a well kept house etc. I drive her mad sometimes with my craziness. She doesn't understand how I can be such a perfectionist about some things and then not give a toss about others. I just think I'm efficient.
    I don't do mediocre. I either throw myself in completely or don't bother at all.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Grez View Post
    When I clean a record with my carbon-fibre brush, I always earth my other hand to the earth binding point on the amp.
    I have a sense of deja vu here. I think I wrote more or less the same on another thread.

Regards
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I do that with CD's, i used to do the same with LP's when putting them back in the inner.I even use thin cotton gloves to read the CD booklet as not to get finger prints on the black ink Man if you even began to see what i get upto you'd die
    Whilst I don't go as far as wearing cotton gloves (now that does sound like OCD), I do handle the CD booklet by the edges and turn the pages very carefully for the very same reason you describe Andre. I can't stand getting finger marks on either the CB booklets or the inner sleeves of LPs. If I do, I'll try to polish them out using a clean handkerchief. There's something about the semi-matt finish of the paper used that just asks for fingermarks.

Regards
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Your system won't sound as good without all the magic dust on it!
    I think it was Steven Fry who once likened something "... as redolent as the smell of dust on old Mullard valves".

Regards
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Nah. Half the time I don't even bother putting CDs back in their cases or LPs in their sleeves. There's a copy of Ry Cooder's 'Into The Purple Valley' that became separated from its sleeve a couple of years back and now I can't find either the sleeve or the record!

Regards
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    You're doing it all wrong Barry.

This is the way you put a CD into it's case:
    First you take a piece of paper. You write in tiny letters 'Shippy is a very naughty boy' & fold it up into.........
    Oh no, let's not start that again!

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12